Rylan Bannon 2019

Frobby

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bannon is off to a nice start. Defensively, I've been less then impressed with his ability at 2B. Maybe won't kill you there but I don't see a lot of lateral quickness and the arm is not great. As for third base, I'll need to see more of the arm but although he can play there, he will be limited on those plays that require a big arm.

Nice start with the bat though.

I hope he's not going to be another DH type The O's have too many of those already.

10 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

Luke-any comp you can think of for this kid? I’ve never seen him play but everything I read makes me think of another former Big East baseball player: John Valentin.  Bit undersized, could play a few different positions and had some pop.  

I’m not big on comps, but Valentin is both bigger than Bannon and having a better hit tool. Bannon is a hard guy to comp even for someone who likes comps (which is were some of the scouts’ doubts come from). How many 5’10” 180lb guys with power as their best tool are there in the majors? Also, it’s probably more like 5’8” in cleats.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, panick said:

I hope he's not going to be another DH type The O's have too many of those already.

No, he's not a DH-type, just not going to be a plus defender anywhere unless he makes some improvements. Again, I don't think he's going to kill you at either position, but there will be times when you would have liked to have a better defender. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not big on comps, but Valentin is both bigger than Bannon and having a better hit tool. Bannon is a hard guy to comp even for someone who likes comps (which is were some of the scouts’ doubts come from). How many 5’10” 180lb guys with power as their best tool are there in the majors? Also, it’s probably more like 5’8” in cleats.

How about a player value comp instead of a tools comp? Is he a 40, 45 or 50 FV guy? Who else fits with his description? Sounds like maybe an average regular with a little positional flexibility that might make him an attractive super sub type, assuming he wouldn't be terrible as a corner outfielder. Maybe a Ryan Flaherty type? Little better bat? 

Note, these are all questions. I dont' know enough to make any predictions.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

How about a player value comp instead of a tools comp? Is he a 40, 45 or 50 FV guy? Who else fits with his description? Sounds like maybe an average regular with a little positional flexibility that might make him an attractive super sub type, assuming he wouldn't be terrible as a corner outfielder. Maybe a Ryan Flaherty type? Little better bat? 

Note, these are all questions. I dont' know enough to make any predictions.

I don't know, maybe you should go look at the top prospect list from last year where we did that already? But hey, just keep asking Luke to do your homework.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know, maybe you should go look at the top prospect list from last year where we did that already? But hey, just keep asking Luke to do your homework.

Frobby can like it all he wants, but this was uncalled for. I don't try to be one of the idiot posters. You should know that by now. If I'm not welcome here, just say so. 

The prospect lists were made last fall after a limited look at guys. Maybe opinions haven't changed. Maybe they have. Sorry for asking questions.

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Frobby can like it all he wants, but this was uncalled for. I don't try to be one of the idiot posters. You should know that by now. If I'm not welcome here, just say so. 

The prospect lists were made last fall after a limited look at guys. Maybe opinions haven't changed. Maybe they have. Sorry for asking questions.

What is going to change in three weeks into the season? You should know better as a longtime member to be lazy like that. It has nothing to do with being welcome, it has to do with asking for information that is clearly available.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What is going to change in three weeks into the season? You should know better as a longtime member to be lazy like that. It has nothing to do with being welcome, it has to do with asking for information that is clearly available.

Maybe you can read this thread again and tell me whether anything's changed? It's a thread that is based on his hot start. Luke talked about a change to his swing. There's clearly some impressions being made.

Or maybe you can read the post that you originally reacted to again. Yes, I asked about FV which was in the prospect write up, but the rest of my entire post was continuing the conversation about a player comp and I simply tried to take it a different direction since the physical comp seems to be really tough with this guy. You can call it/me lazy all you want, but I think you're the one being both lazy and snarky. 

I'll move on, but I think you're in the wrong here.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Maybe you can read this thread again and tell me whether anything's changed? It's a thread that is based on his hot start. Luke talked about a change to his swing. There's clearly some impressions being made.

Or maybe you can read the post that you originally reacted to again. Yes, I asked about FV which was in the prospect write up, but the rest of my entire post was continuing the conversation about a player comp and I simply tried to take it a different direction since the physical comp seems to be really tough with this guy. You can call it/me lazy all you want, but I think you're the one being both lazy and snarky. 

I'll move on, but I think you're in the wrong here.

That's fine, I might have been a bit snarky since it annoys me when people ask questions about things we've already done, especially posters that I know that have read and know where to find these reports.

Luke discussed some swing changes, that's not going to change his FV three weeks into a season. I appreciate that folks want to discuss these players, but sometimes people need to realize that unless some kind of major change occurred (like a guy suddenly throwing 98 when he was 92), there's not really going to be any changes to their overall evaluations three weeks into the season. Anyone who starts giving reevaluations based off three weeks is either jumping the gun, or doesn't know what they are doing. 

I'll apologize for being a bit snarky in my response, but my point is valid.

• Upvote 2

There’s something ironic about telling LookinUp to LookitUp.  ?Apologies for any “snark reinforcement” implied by my liking Tony’s post - not my intent.  It was after I posted a link to the OH top 30 that I saw Tony’s post saying why don’t you look at our list.    That’s why I repped it.    It’s fair for you to ask whether anything has changed since then, and Tony’s answer makes sense to me.  

He’s a 45 for me, it’s going to be tough for him to jump past that without raking in AAA because the lack of physical tools. I’m already the high man on him. 

@LookinUp, I don’t have a problem answering questions, but using the  search with the players name and my username will give you a lot of info and also help you ask pointed questions. 

I’ll go in deep detail for my midseason rankings, but until then for my particular thoughts read

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/07/30/orioles-top-50-prospects-ms2018/

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/08/25/lukes-midseason-top-50-adding-the-prospects-from-the-gausman-schoop-deals/

and then lookup my message board comments and you’ll have a pretty good idea of my thoughts.

The OH list and write ups have additional insight from Tony and info from team sources that I don’t have. 

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/11/06/2018-top-30-prospects/

I’ll probably have a stock up/down article towards early May as well.

• Upvote 2