Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

So the White Sox acquired Nomar Mazara from the Rangers last night, in exchange for Steele Walker, a 2018 2nd round pick, center fielder, played pretty well in the Carolina League last year.  

Mazara is only 24, but he is already arbitration-eligible, and his offensive production has stagnated at slightly below league average.  I think Mancini would be a more valuable player.

Should the Orioles have traded Mancini for Steele Walker, straight up?  Would the White Sox have made that trade?  

31 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

So the White Sox acquired Nomar Mazara from the Rangers last night, in exchange for Steele Walker, a 2018 2nd round pick, center fielder, played pretty well in the Carolina League last year.  

Mazara is only 24, but he is already arbitration-eligible, and his offensive production has stagnated at slightly below league average.  I think Mancini would be a more valuable player.

Should the Orioles have traded Mancini for Steele Walker, straight up?  Would the White Sox have made that trade?  

I'm sure they would have and Mancini's probably worth a bit more IMO.

PS) Good luck! I was completely eviscerated for even daring to suggest that this might be a ballpark comparison (to what we could get for Mancini)  in the Winter Meetings thread. 

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think Voit is perfectly fine at 1B. He's a very high OBP guy too. Oh, by the way the Yankees led all of MLB in runs scored last season. 

Best offense.  The best back end bullpen in the league.  Now they just got Cole.  Probably a good time for us to be rebuilding.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Best offense.  The best back end bullpen in the league.  Now they just got Cole.  Probably a good time for us to be rebuilding.  

To be honest, the current structure of baseball will likely make the Orioles completely uncompetitive with the yankees but for about 2-3 years in every ten year window.

I said it with the last CBA that the large market teams would take a few years to reset before almost completely washing every mid to low market team out of the competitive window, but for the one or two that perform and are held up like some paragon of making the right decisions and showing anyone can compete.  

Call me when the Orioles are willing to invest $150+ in payroll again.  I will enjoy those two years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

39 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sure they would have and Mancini's probably worth a bit more IMO.

PS) Good luck! I was completely eviscerated for even daring to suggest that this might be a ballpark comparison (to what we could get for Mancini)  in the Winter Meetings thread. 

That's because the numbers arent particularly comparable between the two.  Walker would be a terrible return for Mancini.  As Mancinis worst year is pretty comparable to the plateau Mazara has leveled out at.

Now if Texas wants a real first baseman and wants to trade Walker with their #5 prospect Cole Winn+, that is something more akin to Mancini's trade value.

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

So the deal was for Walker who now rates 12th on the Rangers top 30 by MLB 2020 2nd round pick which is #52 after the comp round A picks were added. The #52 pick last season was Kendall Williams by the Blue Jays. And he is ranked #11 in their system.

So 2 guys in their top 15 is not really a bad haul for that player (obviously the 2nd guy is a draft election)  .... His WAR for 4 full seasons is 1.8 and Mancini's is 5.9 for 3 seasons. I don't think they are really all that similar as is suggested earlier in this thread.

I think that Mancini gets you a 5-10 guy, top 10-15, and 1 or 2 others.

At this point it's looking like there is no chance that Mancini is traded this offseason.  There's too many similar players that only so many spots.  COF like Castellanos, Ozuna, and Dickerson are still out there.  I've thought this offseason that Mancini's valued was tied to what Castellanos' market was, below is a blurb from mlbtr on Castellanos,

8. Nicholas Castellanos, OF: Age (28 in March) and a quality offensive track record are on Castellanos’ side. Defensive prowess isn’t, on the other hand, but struggles in the field shouldn’t stop Castellanos from securing a multiyear contract worth a sizable sum. The Cubs, with whom he thrived late last season, as well as the Marlins, Rangers, Giants and Diamondbacks are among the clubs that have been connected to Castellanos in free agency.

• 1 month later...

A little to my surprise, the Rangers, their new stadium, and their stated desire to get more right-handed have missed Ozuna, Castellanos and now Starling Marte.

Their player development staff may have a high appraisal of Ronald Guzman, who to some systems sits rather conspicuously as one of the worst regulars anywhere, never mind on aspiring contenders.  There's still Arenado/Bryant (though ATL figures to be fiercer for one, and they may not both be traded).

I don't think Mancini alone gets to Jung/Solak on the back half of Top 100 lists, but could Givens with him?

Sherten Apostel is perhaps overqualified to be his org's second best 3B prospect, and they've also buried Kolby Allard under some solid veteran SP's.

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

A little to my surprise, the Rangers, their new stadium, and their stated desire to get more right-handed have missed Ozuna, Castellanos and now Starling Marte.

Their player development staff may have a high appraisal of Ronald Guzman, who to some systems sits rather conspicuously as one of the worst regulars anywhere, never mind on aspiring contenders.  There's still Arenado/Bryant (though ATL figures to be fiercer for one, and they may not both be traded).

I don't think Mancini alone gets to Jung/Solak on the back half of Top 100 lists, but could Givens with him?

Sherten Apostel is perhaps overqualified to be his org's second best 3B prospect, and they've also buried Kolby Allard under some solid veteran SP's.

Not sure about Jung ... but Solak is their #14 ranked player according to MLB.com. I think you could get him plus for Mancini. 

If you couldn’t then you don’t deal Trea. 

• 2 weeks later...

Betts going to the Dodgers takes him off the potential trade deadline market. The Dodgers will be in it and not sellers. 

Mancini will arguably be the best “bat” available in July. Ozuna and Starlin Marte are in that discussion at well. 

Here is a list of impending FA hitters for next offseason,

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2021/batters/

We could be looking at the possibility of having the best “bat” and reliever up for sale at the trade deadline. See below for impending reliever FA,

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2021/relief-pitcher/

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Betts going to the Dodgers takes him off the potential trade deadline market. The Dodgers will be in it and not sellers. 

Mancini will arguably be the best “bat” available in July. Ozuna and Starlin Marte are in that discussion at well. 

Here is a list of impending FA hitters for next offseason,

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2021/batters/

We could be looking at the possibility of having the best “bat” and reliever up for sale at the trade deadline. See below for impending reliever FA,

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2021/relief-pitcher/

I feel that the inability to move Mancini and Givens has been a low point for the new management. Maybe a deadline deal changes my thoughts.