O's Sign 20-year old Cuban SS Yorkislandy Alvarez

Greg Pappas

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Best first name in Orioles history?  Other contenders include Engelb, Breyvic, Ubaldo, Vidal, Odrisamer, Wei-Yin, Yamaico, Olise Cla, Radhames, Randor, Napoleon, plain old Yorkis, Ivanon, Heathcliff, Dorn, Oswaldo, Drungo, Dyar, Hoyt, Valmy, Enos, Hyun Soo, Delino, Vladimir, Wellington, and of course Jonathan.

Brooks!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Thorne is going to have fund with this one if he ever makes it.

We're going to have to put Gary through a three hour long training class before he has to start pronouncing it.  Otherwise the first time he says it on the air, he'll say "York Island-y Alvarez".

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:We're going to have to put Gary through a three hour long training class before he has to start pronouncing it.  Otherwise the first time he says it on the air, he'll say "York Island-y Alvarez".

Cousin Marv: What?
Bob: They're Chechens. They're from Chechnya, but you call them Chechens.
Cousin Marv: Yeah, they're from Chechnya.
Bob: Yeah, I said that. You don't call people from Ireland Irelandians, do you

• Upvote 1

It was probably inevitable that a thread about Yorkislandy Alvarez would eventually lead to a picture of Rutherford B. Hayes.  

I guess the only real news we have on Alvarez is that he was on the Cuba under 18 team in 2017?

37 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It was probably inevitable that a thread about Yorkislandy Alvarez would eventually lead to a picture of Rutherford B. Hayes.  

I guess the only real news we have on Alvarez is that he was on the Cuba under 18 team in 2017?

And that he seems very happy a major league team signed him.

51 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

And that he's not afraid of a Long March.

p06rhh1c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...