There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

This is what Ruschmann did two years ago in the cape cod league

Ruschmann CCL Stats

This what Vaughn did last year

Andrew Vaughn 2018 CCL

And this is what Bleday did.

Bleday 2018 CCL

The cape cod league is a legitimate metric of a players potential future success in MLB.  I think AR would be a fine pick, but I am also wary of a player who really didnt put it together until the last two years.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

So you think the Orioles should give up next years first and second round picks to throw $10 million  (plus another $10 million to MLB) at Al Leiter's kid?

No.

I think for a team like the Red Sox the math might be different.

37 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's dominated inferior competition and what Rutchsman has done has almost been video game-like (against better competition). And my comment was to the previous point that Witt has a higher ceiling. He doesn't. At best he has the same ceiling with a much lower floor. 

I read that he has trouble with fastballs down the chute

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How so?  Do you mean buying bad contracts that have young talent attached?

Yes. Or absorbing the bulk of bad contracts (when they trade players) in order to get prospects (i.e., the opposite of what we did with Darren O'Day). 

40 minutes ago, weams said:

Have to disagree. Pools have change that from the old days. Having funds to get first round talent in the second or third round can make a huge difference. 

Please share which teams have consistently underspent their draft pool by a significant amount over the past five years.

Let’s say the O’s pick X player and they lowball him.  He decides not to sign.  The O’s get that pick the following year correct? What pick would it be in the 2020 draft? Also, would they be able to spend that money they didn’t in this year’s draft to overslot later rounds this year? In this scenario, theoretically, the O’s would have a hard cap on their first round selection and could allocate values in later rounds accordingly. If I remember correctly isn’t there a second tier of a lot values after round 10? I’m wondering if there isn’t a way to game the system. 

9 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Please share which teams have consistently underspent their draft pool by a significant amount over the past five years.

You misunderstood me. And I may well be that reason.  I meant that spending all of your pool on the number one pick is not always the most efficient use of the funds. Sometimes another player can be targeted, and indeed promised, some of those saved funds. 

There are a few non top ten  guys who supposedly have 4 million dollar numbers. 

1 minute ago, Punchandjudy said:

Let’s say the O’s pick X player and they lowball him.  He decides not to sign.  The O’s get that pick the following year correct? What pick would it be in the 2020 draft? Also, would they be able to spend that money they didn’t in this year’s draft to overslot later rounds this year? In this scenario, theoretically, the O’s would have a hard cap on their first round selection and could allocate values in later rounds accordingly. If I remember correctly isn’t there a second tier of a lot values after round 10? I’m wondering if there isn’t a way to game the system. 

The comp pick would be 1-2.  If you don't sign a pick that pool money is lost.

2 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

You get the same pick next year minus one. First second and third rounds to my understanding. 

Just now, weams said:

You misunderstood me. And I may well be that reason.  I meant that spending all of your pool on the number one pick is not always the most efficient use of the funds. Sometimes another player can be targeted, and indeed promised, some of those saved funds. 

There are a few non top ten  guys who supposedly have 4 million dollar numbers. 

Then show me what team used all of it's pool $ on one pick?

Just now, hoosiers said:

Then show me what team used all of it's pool $ on one pick?

Again, I have not explained myself well.  Many teams have spent overslot on a pick. And sacrificed elsewhere to fund it. 

Archived