Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, how will you judge this?    As I posted elsewhere (in a lot more detail), in 2017-18 there were 21 players who signed for $1 mm+, 26 who signed for $500-999 k, and 73 who signed for $300-499 k.  And Lord only knows how many below $300 k.   What do you expect to see when July 2 signings are announced?    I’m on record as not expecting anybody in the $500 k+ groups, but hoping for a couple in the $300-499 group, along with a decent number of sub-$300 k guys.   I’d consider that good progress.    Are you expecting more, based on Elias’ statements and the t-shirts?

I should caveat all this by saying that how much they spend on a player or in total may or may not correlate to how well they did in acquiring talent, which we’ll only know then these guys are on the field for a good period of time.   

Rather than go buy money spent I'll go with "expert" analysis of the class.

I was expecting somewhere in the 28-30 range.  I'm now expecting a back end of the middle of the pack result, say 20-25.  I'm not expecting a miracle.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rather than go buy money spent I'll go with "expert" analysis of the class.

I was expecting somewhere in the 28-30 range.  I'm now expecting a back end of the middle of the pack result, say 20-25.  I'm not expecting a miracle.

This seems reasonable, but I was already expecting something close to that before the t-shirts.   Then again, this will be tough to judge.   Does anybody actually rank the international FA classes?   I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a ranking like that. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I view it as Elias hired Sig.

Yup.

And for those also wondering, I've been following the O's tech postings...and they've had a number of software positions open up immediately after the hiring of Sig. They apparently have a developer that travels with the team in some capacity and/or presents directly to players. That's very encouraging.

46 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yup.

And for those also wondering, I've been following the O's tech postings...and they've had a number of software positions open up immediately after the hiring of Sig. They apparently have a developer that travels with the team in some capacity and/or presents directly to players. That's very encouraging.

I wonder if they will ever get to the level of the NFL, and tablets in the sidelines, with playback ability and communications with the eye in the booth.

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The number isn’t really the important part, as they signed about 45 players in the 2018-2019 J2 period, but spent less than 3M I believe. Koby and Elias will have a better pick of the class this year, not the elite known about for years types, but the next tier of 6 figure guys. 

• Upvote 2

I defer to those with more knowledge on how things work than I, but I wonder if the reason we are going pitcher heavy is that is something we can fairly easily measure by analytics.  Especially in a situation where we didn't have many boots on the ground in the form of scouts earlier,  it seems we could bring in pitchers, put them on a mound,  and measure things like velocity, spin rate, etc easier than we can hitters attributes when we invite them in.   Again,  I could be way off, but that makes sense to me.   

• Upvote 1