Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wieters did not sign until the (then) August 15 deadline, and didn’t play at all that summer.   He got sent to the Hawaiian Winter League, which at the time was sort of a low A/hi A version of the AFL. Then he started in Frederick the following year.   I won’t be at all surprised if Rutschman makes his way to Delmarva by the end of this year and starts in Frederick next season.   

I agree. Plus we know Delmarva is already in the playoffs. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wieters did not sign until the (then) August 15 deadline, and didn’t play at all that summer.   He got sent to the Hawaiian Winter League, which at the time was sort of a low A/hi A version of the AFL. Then he started in Frederick the following year.   I won’t be at all surprised if Rutschman makes his way to Delmarva by the end of this year and starts in Frederick next season.   

Hmmm. I can't decide if I agree or not. I was assuming next year would be targeted as a Delmarva/Frederick year. But I think you're right. If it's Frederick/Bowie next year, he would be catching Rodriguez, Rom and maybe Hall, depending on how fast he moves. I'd like to think those batteries will progress to the majors at about the same time.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Hmmm. I can't decide if I agree or not. I was assuming next year would be targeted as a Delmarva/Frederick year. But I think you're right. If it's Frederick/Bowie next year, he would be catching Rodriguez, Rom and maybe Hall, depending on how fast he moves. I'd like to think those batteries will progress to the majors at about the same time.

I expect he'll cross paths with first Rodriguez and then DL Hall as he goes, and that he beats them to Baltimore.  If they went to college, Rodriguez would be a freshman and DL Hall a sophomore, so Rutschman has a year or two on them, and even more pedigree.

I'm guessing he will have almost a year to see how Mookie Betts and Vlad hit in real life firsthand before he starts shepherding our hottest arms through trying to get them out.

He seems so low variance that barring injury I'm almost positive we're looking at a May 10, 2021 debut give or take a few weeks depending on how well he fares in the minors next year.  Wieters was a May 29th his year.

I think just like with Diaz this spring Bowie v. Norfolk was the interesting call to watch - next spring it is Frederick v. Bowie.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is what I'm thinking too for Adley's development path. It's easier for me to get to Frederick than Camden Yards. I will likely be attending Keys games next season to watch Adley over watching the Orioles. Plus my kids would probably like the atmosphere better. 

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Got to figure they'll manage it to get him to Delmarva and working again with Cadyn Grenier.

Yes but we all "ass-u-me-d" that Little Yaz would be called up last year to play in Beantown also.   But I'm hoping on that scenario.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:14 PM, interloper said:

He and Elias look very similar. 

Completely off topic but me and my wife are in the midst of a Breaking Bad binge (we never watched past the first season) and there is a character by the name of Ted Beneke on the show that looks like Elias’ doppelgänger. My wife is annoyed at how much I mention it but it creeps me out. 

45 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

FWIW the Braves, who also went NCAA catcher with the 9th overall pick, started their guy in the South Atlantic League.

The Braves have much more incentive to rush him than we do. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Completely off topic but me and my wife are in the midst of a Breaking Bad binge (we never watched past the first season) and there is a character by the name of Ted Beneke on the show that looks like Elias’ doppelgänger. My wife is annoyed at how much I mention it but it creeps me out. 

Looks like Elias, looks more like Fox MLB announcer Thom Brennaman.  

2 hours ago, incubus said:

We’ll be in Sarasota next week. Always go to a GCL game when we’re down there. Will probably go to Sunday in hopes that rutschman plays. If not, will go back on Weds to see if he plays.

GCL generally doesn’t play on Sundays, with 1-2 exceptions.   

21 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is what I'm thinking too for Adley's development path. It's easier for me to get to Frederick than Camden Yards. I will likely be attending Keys games next season to watch Adley over watching the Orioles. Plus my kids would probably like the atmosphere better. 

Last time I went to a game in Frederick was to see Matt Wieters.   I’d definitely go back to check out their latest switch hitting catcher-savior.   

Archived