Fangraphs: Orioles have good reason to be excited about Trey Mancini

Frobby

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

What do you think the reason is? Are you not buying what he's said about working on his swing? Or the evidence thereof? 

First off all I said to start with is that I thought it was odd that Fangraphs would do a piece on a player's improvement than not have any evidence of the reasons for their improvement.  That was a comment about Fangraphs not a comment about Mancini.

I have no reason to think that Mancini is not diligent about improving his craft.  The only Oriole player I have ever suggest isn't working hard is Davis, and Coolbaugh's comments don't disprove me there. 

As for his improvement?  Right now I'm going with the natural ebb and tide of a player's performance year to year.  Lots of guys have these types of swings in performance.

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

K rate down 4%, BB% up slightly, Hard% up nearly 4%, Line Drive% up 5%, less pull happy and a juiced ball. All things that spell better results.

Sure, but no underlying reasons as to why things are going better.  Atypical for one of their pieces.

I like Trey. He's one of 5 guys or so that I actually enjoy watching (Villar, Smith Jr., Stewart, and Means). But it's hard to be excited about any of them. I'm still of the opinion that we're a full 25 roster away from contention. Maybe Means is the exception if he is the real deal. 

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off all I said to start with is that I thought it was odd that Fangraphs would do a piece on a player's improvement than not have any evidence of the reasons for their improvement.  That was a comment about Fangraphs not a comment about Mancini.

I have no reason to think that Mancini is not diligent about improving his craft.  The only Oriole player I have ever suggest isn't working hard is Davis, and Coolbaugh's comments don't disprove me there. 

As for his improvement?  Right now I'm going with the natural ebb and tide of a player's performance year to year.  Lots of guys have these types of swings in performance.

I don’t know if lots of guys regularly swing .200-.300 in OPS.  I get where you are coming from re: not being able to pinpoint mechanical reasons for improvement.

29 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I like Trey. He's one of 5 guys or so that I actually enjoy watching (Villar, Smith Jr., Stewart, and Means). But it's hard to be excited about any of them. I'm still of the opinion that we're a full 25 roster away from contention. Maybe Means is the exception if he is the real deal. 

If we had a roster with these 5 guys on it, it’s not hard to imagine a playoff roster.  The problem is the other 20 guys.  You still need to find 4 SP and 4 starting position players to fill out your lineup.   And frankly on your list, I believe that only Villar, Means, and Mancini would be starters on a playoff team, which leaves us with even more holes.

I don't love going here, and we won't know until/unless Mancini ever hits well for a good Orioles team, but we're in a lot of blowouts and Mancini probably has the MLB's cushiest situation among competent big league hitters as far as pitchers rarely having to worry much what happens as they pitch to him.  They shackled him pretty well last year when the team was supposed to be competitive.

13 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I don't love going here, and we won't know until/unless Mancini ever hits well for a good Orioles team, but we're in a lot of blowouts and Mancini probably has the MLB's cushiest situation among competent big league hitters as far as pitchers rarely having to worry much what happens as they pitch to him.  They shackled him pretty well last year when the team was supposed to be competitive.

.429/.493/.889/1.382  Slash line in the first inning.  Answers the highlighted part.  First innings usually have the Orioles still in games.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Except his best results have been in the first inning. I doubt any pitcher is not stressing giving up the lead 0-0 in the first. 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Except his best results have been in the first inning. I doubt any pitcher is not stressing giving up the lead 0-0 in the first. 

I don't totally disagree with the sentiment here.  But it's not like any pitcher who's stressed about any part of our lineup can quickly remember that his hitters get to face our pitching.  

3 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I like Means a lot and I hope he’s heading towards lasting success. But I fear he’s this year’s Bleier, and next year-or even next month-hitters figure out how to hit him.

Whatever happens going forward though, he’s earned his pay so far.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

I like Means a lot and I hope he’s heading towards lasting success. But I fear he’s this year’s Bleier, and next year-or even next month-hitters figure out how to hit him.

Whatever happens going forward though, he’s earned his pay so far.

Means strikes out enough guys, I think.  And his changeup is the real deal.

12 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

I think this is interesting that some St Louis people are noticing Mancini. How about what they are proposing?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/redbirdrants.com/2019/06/27/st-louis-cardinals-trey-mancini/amp/

I know the in thing to do is act like Mancini is some "meh" player, someone disposable.  But I am dead set against trading him.  I've said it before, I'll say it again....this board has been whining forever about cheap, cost controlled talent and how we don't have any of it.  And when we finally do, people all of a sudden get this super cavalier attitude that...oh well, he doesn't play defense well enough.  And this MIGHT NOT BE how good he actually is.  And OMG HE'S 27!!!!! SO OLD!!!  Constantly poking holes in a guy that might not be a superstar, but is pretty damn good.  This board is the bum on the corner turning down a meal at McDonalds because he'd rather have Shake Shack.  

Get rid of Davis, give Mancini first base and GTFO of the way.  It should be that simple.  I'm not saying Mancini is a Machado-esque talent that you've gotta "build around" (whatever that means) but he's certainly not part of the problem.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Means strikes out enough guys, I think.  And his changeup is the real deal.

I know the in thing to do is act like Mancini is some "meh" player, someone disposable.  But I am dead set against trading him.  I've said it before, I'll say it again....this board has been whining forever about cheap, cost controlled talent and how we don't have any of it.  And when we finally do, people all of a sudden get this super cavalier attitude that...oh well, he doesn't play defense well enough.  And this MIGHT NOT BE how good he actually is.  And OMG HE'S 27!!!!! SO OLD!!!  Constantly poking holes in a guy that might not be a superstar, but is pretty damn good.  This board is the bum on the corner turning down a meal at McDonalds because he'd rather have Shake Shack.  

Get rid of Davis, give Mancini first base and GTFO of the way.  It should be that simple.  I'm not saying Mancini is a Machado-esque talent that you've gotta "build around" (whatever that means) but he's certainly not part of the problem.  

There are people like myself that like Mancini and the game he brings but try to be realistic about how far away from competing this team is. Five years from now, at his age he would be a good member of the team.

I'm ok with keeping him if the offers are low.