Astros Designate AJ Reed

weams

I think the inability of the Astros developmental techniques to increase Reed's batspeed will probably inform Elias' decision. I would be mildly surprised if the Orioles grabbed him.  I am not sure what one could do with him.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Finisher said:

The bat speed just isn't there. This is his fourth season at AAA and his stats have dropped every year.

Perhaps he is a change of scenery guy.

besides a cup of coffee 2 seasons ago he really hasn't gotten a big league shot. 

Feeling blocked/slighted/stuck at AAA could have something to do with the decline. I'd take a flier for no other reason than to see if this is the case. What do we have to lose? They could put Davis on the DL for a few weeks if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

That’s not necessarily true, because when you pick somebody up you have to get rid of somebody else, so you have to not only think that the new guy is an asset, but that he’s more of an asset than the guy you’re letting go. There is a risk involved in both decisions, and Reed Has given no indication that he is worth either one.

The Orioles have no shortage of roster spots occupied by has-been’s and never-was’. There’s room at the inn for project players.

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The Orioles have no shortage of roster spots occupied by has-been’s and never-was’. There’s room at the inn for project players.

Yeah I suppose. And I’m not going to get all hot and bothered if they take them on, I just don’t think there’s any reason to do so

19 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

2.  You tend to think that .030 isnt that significant but I will tell you what.  There is a big difference between a .270 hitter and a .300 hitter.

.030 points of OPS is a much smaller differential than .030 points of BA:

1.    Essentially, BA gets counted twice in OPS.   

2.    Top BA = maybe .350.   .030 is an 8-9% differential on that scale.   Top OPS = maybe 1.000.    .030 is a 3% differential on that scale.

18 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This is how rebuilding teams find talent. They pick up reclamation projects and give them playing time. Nunez is a success. Smith Jr had a big start to the season. Even Rio Ruiz might be something. 

If you’re holding out for only “top flight” prospects and “proven” players, you might have to start following another franchise for a long time. 

19 hours ago, jsbearr said:

I think the inability of the Astros developmental techniques to increase Reed's batspeed will probably inform Elias' decision. I would be mildly surprised if the Orioles grabbed him.  I am not sure what one could do with him.

This was my thought as well.  The Astros are not currently slouches in the player development department.  If they can't get a player to have his click moment, then other teams likely won't either.  With maybe the exception being an Arrieta mentality who desperately needs a different town to be able to get past his stumbling blocks and finish developing.  I don't know if that's Reed or not, and even if it is, odds are still not great that he'll succeed.

Archived