2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

And after trading Greinke, the Dbacks add Mike Leake from the Mariners, so they saved ~45 million and still have a fine starter. Well done!

so the DBacks and Astros are clear winners,  the Jays and Mariners cleaned house( also winners)  while the Yankees and Twins did nothing, and the redsox realize they aren't going anywhere in October.

One thing about the trade deadline - when a team like the Braves acquire 3 new relievers for prospects in a 24 hour period, it usually means they have to DFA someone with some talent.  Well, Luis Gohara literally got DFA'd on his 23rd birthday today.  He's a former very highly touted prospect who's had arm problems/miseries.  Internet Dr. Ruz hasn't exemined his arm, but it seems to me this is the kind of situation the O's should jump on ASAP.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s at least one.   A bit vague, but it still makes my point.   

I can’t say what you meant by “not much” but I’m pretty sure you meant a lot less than $7 mm.    And there were other posts pegging what he’d get at far less than that — not necessarily from you, though some might have been.  

Schoop got more than Beckham that was correct.

Schoop was non tendered. That was correct,

Schoop is paid less this year than 2018.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

No, I think we are like two ships passing in the night here.   Last year, other posters (not you) made the argument that Schoop would get way less than $7-8 mm if non-tendered.   If I understood your prior post about Villar, you said if non-tendered he’d get maybe $2.5 mm as a free agent.   And I’m saying you are way low in that estimate, in my opinion, just like others were low on Schoop last year.    If he is non-tendered, I believe Villar will get close to $7 mm next year, similar to what Schoop got this season, though perhaps just a tad less.   

Villar won’t be tendered. I can’t predict what another club will pay for him but it will be less than what he would get in arbitration.  Just like Schoop got less than he did in arbitration.  No reason to trade for Villar when another team can get him in free agency without giving up players and he will cost less in salary.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

No, I think we are like two ships passing in the night here.   Last year, other posters (not you) made the argument that Schoop would get way less than $7-8 mm if non-tendered.   If I understood your prior post about Villar, you said if non-tendered he’d get maybe $2.5 mm as a free agent.   And I’m saying you are way low in that estimate, in my opinion, just like others were low on Schoop last year.    If he is non-tendered, I believe Villar will get close to $7 mm next year, similar to what Schoop got this season, though perhaps just a tad less.   

Ok that’s fine. I just think he’s too careless to get much. Schoop isn’t careless or lazy, he’s just hot/cold, and I’d rather have Schoop.

Villar may get 4m but I doubt he’ll get more. 

2 hours ago, jgjbanker said:

Hopefully with all the trades that happened today, which I believe is 20+, it will create the need for some teams who acquired multiple players to DFA some folks we might be interested in picking up. 

Good point.

time to dumpster dive!

It’s become pretty obvious that metrics powered teams have determined the risk of trading their prospects #3 -#7 is acceptable but will not deal their very top guys. Astros  just did it.  Dodgers have the past few years.  This is the new normal. Will be interesting to see if this changes.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s become pretty obvious that metrics powered teams have determined the risk of trading their prospects #3 -#7 is acceptable but will not deal their very top guys. Astros  just did it.  Dodgers have the past few years.  This is the new normal. Will be interesting to see if this changes.  

And they will take on your long term debt. They will kindly take that old, expensive, still somehow stud pitcher off your hands (after you fronted most of the risk of course).

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

I mean I don't think it has anything at all to do with how the player is ranked in their system, just the general quality of the prospect. If a teams system sucks and has no ceiling at the top, I don't think they'd have any qualms trading their top 2 guys. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I mean I don't think it has anything at all to do with how the player is ranked in their system, just the general quality of the prospect. If a teams system sucks and has no ceiling at the top, I don't think they'd have any qualms trading their top 2 guys. 

Well of course if their system sucked they would thing differently.  But that isn't the case with the teams I am talking about.  They basically take their top guys completely off the table when in the past that wasn't always the case.