Chirs Davis per Mike Elias

Roll Tide

My guess is that Elias is doing everything he can to put Chris in a position to make the decision of when its time to go.  He's letting him have every opportunity to figure out that he just doesn't have it anymore.  I'm sure Elias and Davis have discussed when will enough be enough for Davis.  How embarrassed does he want to become.  If he finishes the season with a .180 average and 10 homers, then gets off to a similar pace next year, he will probably hang it up after a couple months into next season on his own.

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

My guess is that Elias is doing everything he can to put Chris in a position to make the decision of when its time to go.  He's letting him have every opportunity to figure out that he just doesn't have it anymore.  I'm sure Elias and Davis have discussed when will enough be enough for Davis.  How embarrassed does he want to become.  If he finishes the season with a .180 average and 10 homers, then gets off to a similar pace next year, he will probably hang it up after a couple months into next season on his own.

If he doesn't see it by now I don't have any reason to think things will change by next June.

I like having an established star on the team, a name everyone recognizes.  But a first baseman just can't be hitting less than .200.  and stay on the team. I hope that Chris will quit , retire , if he doesn't improve. He could walk away with dignity and class, if he accepts a buyout. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he doesn't see it by now I don't have any reason to think things will change by next June.

Its these little spurts (like batting .500 in July so far) that probably bring out the competitor in him an make him want to think its still in there (maybe it is no matter how bad the Vegas odds). 

Hey he's almost back up to .200.  If he can do that and figure out how to hit 20-25 bombs a year, then we have the second coming of Rob Deer!

5 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Davis helps lock in the 1draft pick next year if nothing changes. If he does figure it out (Not likely) then you get a player return on your money. 

If they release him he does neither of thise two good things. 

This team doesn't need Chris Davis to lose.

42 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He’s not going to leave kn his own because if he does he loses the money

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This team doesn't need Chris Davis to lose.

True, but the Royals and Tigers seem to be competing more on the losing front this year so we REALLY need to lose. Trading Cashner will help a lot in that regard but Chris Davis doesn’t hurt. 

What else did anyone expect him to say? Which GM would have said something like, "We'll give him a few more months and then reevaluate his place on the roster?"

GM's try to put everything in the most positive light possible. They also try to never badmouth a player. He said exactly what I figured he would. It sounded very much like some of his previous comments about Davis. I wouldn't read anything into these remarks.

• Upvote 1