A fun couple weeks

TommyPickles

Ruth hit 347 at home, 367 on the road.    Gehrig hit 251 at home, 242 on the road.    So, it doesn’t seem like the short porch in RF in Yankee Stadium made much difference for either of them.    DiMaggio was clearly hurt by the deep LCF dimensions.    

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ruth hit 347 at home, 367 on the road. Gehrig hit 251 at home, 242 on the road. So, it doesn’t seem like the short porch in RF in Yankee Stadium made much difference for either of them. DiMaggio was clearly hurt by the deep LCF dimensions.    

o

The porch made it reasonable for left-handed batters to hit home runs, even if it wasn't an overwhelming advantage. If the dimensions of the park were reversed and Gehrig, Maris, and Ruth had a 457 foot right-centerfield fence, and 415 feet even closer to the foul line (right-right-centerfield), I suspect that their home numbers at home would have been less than what they were. That is why I said that I was more intrigued by what DiMaggio did in a very limited amount of playing time (about 12 season's worth of games squeezed into the 13 seasons that he played) playing in a stadium that was borderline impossible for right-handed power hitters.

o