We are Number Eight

weams

It's nice to see the farm this highly ranked.

Rutschman finally gives the system the star power it lacked, plus Hall and Rodriguez have climbed. A lot more depth and quality than in years past.

With probably another top 3 pick next year, I think competitive balance A pick, and finally being active internationally, I think the system could move even higher the next two years.

42 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Exactly. Pretty sure all the prospects worth getting excited about were brought in by Elias in his 7 months with the team.

You're forgetting the pitchers that were drafted in the DD regime.  Hall, Rodriguez, Baumann, Lowther, Knight and now even Sedlock, who has seen his stock rise.   Zach Pop may have seen the majors at the end of this year if not for the TJ surgery, and Kremer is looking like he's still a solid prospect.  

Now, I will say that the new regime has given these guys the tools that they lacked, namely analytics.  But DD and John Wasdin did a fantastic job in the 2017 and 2018 drafts in getting the pitching here.  

But, But, but....Peter still has the team....so no chance....and Hunter is a homer....and Palmer can praise the Yankees and it's OK because he's in the HOF and is above criticism. 

Seriously, this is great news!  That dominance from the Bowie guys has to have had an impact.  I believe in Elias!!!

10 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

You're forgetting the pitchers that were drafted in the DD regime.  Hall, Rodriguez, Baumann, Lowther, Knight and now even Sedlock, who has seen his stock rise.   Zach Pop may have seen the majors at the end of this year if not for the TJ surgery, and Kremer is looking like he's still a solid prospect.  

Now, I will say that the new regime has given these guys the tools that they lacked, namely analytics.  But DD and John Wasdin did a fantastic job in the 2017 and 2018 drafts in getting the pitching here.  

Some of them like Wells may have been good anyway, but the analytics has to have had an impact.  

28 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Yeah sorry my post was 100% sarcastic. 

On a serious note, some good outfield prospects and at least one good MI prospect to add to the pitching. DD had some solid drafts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

Exactly. Pretty sure all the prospects worth getting excited about were brought in by Elias in his 7 months with the team.

Not quite, but the moves within the organization and how they are stacked currently is what makes this so new. DD brought in some decent prospects,  but their development was always haphazard. It appears to be more smoothly organized and deliberate with Elias and company. The dividends are paying out as we watch.

As much I as disliked DD, I think he deserves credit for two things regarding our farm system ranking.  First, the trades last season of Schoop, Britton, Gausman and Manny provided some good prospects and shed significant payroll.  As Gausman has blown up and been injured this year, one hears less complaining about that trade.  Kremer, Zimmerman and Diaz highlight the overall group, but that group certainly provides depth to our system and is probably responsible for putting us in the top 10 (though several pieces can make that claim depending on how one looks at it).

Second, DD did hire Gary Rajsich.  I know that Elias has his research and that research favors drafting certain players, but GaryR, despite all of the forfeited and traded draft picks courtesy of DD, drafted well.  I thought Elias should have kept Rajsich and I wonder if that might eventually be a regret of our current GM.

It is nice to see our system get this recognition and guys like McKenna turn their season around and guys like Baumann reach new heights.  BTW, I think this is only the beginning.  We will be in the talent accumulation phase for another two years and I think folks are going to be amazed at the overall depth our system compared to past Baltimore versions.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Did he?

So you're saying that the team moved from somewhere around 25th or 28th in the rankings to 8th or 12th solely on the basis of players acquired in the last eight months?  That seems kind of unlikely.  Development of players already here, drafted or otherwise acquired in the Duquette era, have to be some of it.