O's claim IF Jose Rondon from White Sox

interloper

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's not, per se, but he's got big league experience, decent MiLB numbers, and can play everywhere. It's just more inventory. 

Except that he’s out of options. He creates roster problems instead of alleviating them.

Follow me here.  Rondon’s name kinda sounds like Rendon.  Rendon of the Nationals becomes a free agent at the end of next year. So, maybe we got Rondon in the hopes that he is Rendon’s lost brother who happened to be adopted by a family with a similar though not quite the same name. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Except that he’s out of options. He creates roster problems instead of alleviating them.

He really doesn't. Jace is a DFA candidate. Alberto and/or Villar will be traded. DSJ is on the IL. Shepherd is going down as soon as the game is over today and also a DFA candidate. Plenty of room to check out a waiver claim.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

But why? He’s terrible and we have multiple guys in the minors who are as able. Plus this guy has no options. Even if a trade happens there’s no justification for this acquisition.

I have no idea whether he is terrible, he has certainly had some success at the AAA level. Regardless, he is definitely better than Jack Reinheimer and Chris Bostick who are the current starting shortstop and second baseman for the Norfolk Tides. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I have no idea whether he is terrible, he has certainly had some success at the AAA level. Regardless, he is definitely better than Jack Reinheimer and Chris Bostick who are the current starting shortstop and second baseman for the Norfolk Tides. 

Plus there's really no harm.  Maybe they saw an adjustment they could make to make him a better player.  If he sucks he gets DFA'd.

I think these are moves you make at the beginning of a rebuild.  Claim interesting players and see if they become anything. 

28 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

How is Rondon significantly (or any) better than Reinheimer, Vincej, or Vielma?

Based on his statistics, he is better. He hasn't ever gotten an extended look in the Majors and he is younger than Reinheimer and Vincej and while he is 3 months older than Vielma, his career MILB OPS is 100+ points higher.

As to how significant that is, this is a 100 loss team, how significant is anything really?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Plus there's really no harm.  Maybe they saw an adjustment they could make to make him a better player.  If he sucks he gets DFA'd.

I think these are moves you make at the beginning of a rebuild.  Claim interesting players and see if they become anything. 

Yup, I don't think he is the answer, but he is more interesting than other potential members of the 40-man roster merry-go-round like Reinheimer, Vincej, or Vielma if only because he has  had recent success at the AAA level.

He is nominally more interesting than Jace Peterson, in that he regularly plays shortstop and is "only" 25.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

He really doesn't. Jace is a DFA candidate. Alberto and/or Villar will be traded. DSJ is on the IL. Shepherd is going down as soon as the game is over today and also a DFA candidate. Plenty of room to check out a waiver claim.

But why? We have Bostick, Vincj, etc etc. they are no Messiahs, but they aren’t worse than Rondon and are already here.

He fills no need that isn’t already filled by equally capable guys we already have.

But why? We have Bostick, Vincj, etc etc. they are no Messiahs, but they aren’t worse than Rondon and are already here.

He fills no need that isn’t already filled by equally capable guys we already have.

Drink the Kool Ade and walk with Mike.  Less stressful ...

Why not have more of those guys? Who fills in at Norfolk if you call up Bostick, etc? What if that's a guy you want to leave at Bowie for development reasons? Of all the things to get upset about, Bostick and Vincej are not something you should be caring much about. 

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Are you mad about not giving the Norfolk IF's a shot at the 25-man or something? None of them are prospects. 

You're overreacting big time here. 

This team needs to collect as many people that can play SS as possible. Plus, uh, someone has to play infield at Norfolk if Villar/Alberto are traded. You can't just call two guys up, especially if you're development plans call for leaving some of them in Bowie. 

I’m not overreacting at all. You’re wildly misunderstanding my response.

I fail to see the reason for this pickup, when he offers nothing we don’t already have.

they aren’t prospects and neither is he.  That’s all.

its like acquiring Zoellner or Andreoli. No reason for it.