O's claim IF Jose Rondon from White Sox

interloper

59 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Does this mean Villar is getting traded?

You gotta think this is depth move in case this happens. If Villar is traded, that would leave Martin as the only legitimate defensive SS on the roster. Albert and Peterson would be well below average defensive SSs.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

How is Rondon significantly (or any) better than Reinheimer, Vincej, or Vielma?

I haven't seen him play shortstop, but other than Reinheimer, the other two are not legitimate MLB shortstops (Vincej is a lot like Alberto without the arm and Vielma can't hit at all) and Reinheimer is replacement level at best defensively. 

AAA slashes:
Rondon (2018): .250/.290/.497/.787
Reinheimer (2019): .249/.327/.348/.675 hitting against the major league superballs

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Ok then, here are the reasons:

1. It's good to collect inventory of guys who can play MIF positions, especially shortstop. Especially when you don't have a real ML starting SS in AA or above.

2. When Villar and/or Alberto get traded, he fills in a spot. 

3. If Jace gets DFA'd because he's 29 and not good, Rondon fills in a spot. 

4. The MIF guys at Bowie, Bannon and McCoy, are probably guys you want to leave where they are for development reasons. Thus it makes it more difficult to promote Vincej or Bostick from Norfolk because who would fill in for them? Jace is out of options so you can't send him back.

5. Rondon is slightly more talented than the current Norfolk MIFs.

6. It costs almost nothing.

7. There's plenty of 40-man and 25-man space right now.

I mean, these are the reasons. If they're not sufficient for you in particular, then I can't help you. 

Meh. You still misunderstood me. I don’t care one way or the other, but he offers nothing we don’t already have, and he takes a 25-man spot without options( if he had options remaining I’d be less concerned)

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meh. You still misunderstood me. I don’t care one way or the other, but he offers nothing we don’t already have, and he takes a 25-man spot without options( if he had options remaining I’d be less concerned)

It is clear they think he is better then the other guys and they are the ones making the decision.  I like Miller Light better then Bud Light but if my buddy buying likes Bud Light over Miller light I am not gonna say no if he offers me one.  

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why does it matter if he has options to you? If the Orioles want to send him to the minors, they just DFA him. If he clears waivers, they send him down. If not he goes to another team. He has not been that great a player so far and probably will never be. If they lose him to another team, big deal! Do you really think the Orioles would be so afraid to lose him that they would not DFA him if they need his roster spot?

Edited by jcarm
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

You're not gonna find a DFA type that offers something we don't already have.  

And since he's not great, not having options is irrelevant.  We can option him, good chance he doesn't get picked up and we can send him to Bowie or Norfolk.  If he does get claimed by someone else it's not a big loss.  

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

I feel like I addressed this in my post, but alright. No worries, agree to disagree.