I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I will be pretty disappointed if the Orioles can't get anything for him. He is a quality player and the team is worse off without him. Guess they will go with an Alberto/Wilkerson platoon at second and ?????? at shortstop.

The team is profitable, they shouldn't let 4 WAR players walk away for nothing.

You don't think Richie Martin will be given SS coming out of spring training? Martin did put a .713 OPS in the second half. I don't think he'll ever hit enough to stick as a starter but I think it's his job to lose.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You don't think Richie Martin will be given SS coming out of spring training? Martin did put a .713 OPS in the second half. I don't think he'll ever hit enough to stick as a starter but I think it's his job to lose.

Maybe, but he only averaged 12 starts a month from July-September. He wasn't really the starting shortstop, he was basically in a platoon.

• weams changed the title to I really want to keep Villar (Update: DFA)

Pretty disappointing they don't want to put a watchable team on the field with players that fans know and like. I don't really care for the plan of cutting and burning the MLB roster to make a 2-3 year run every ten years. I would rather be a fan year in and year out and feel a connection with the players than be encouraged to ignore full seasons of Major League Baseball and jump back in when the team is good.

This model may be efficient in terms of maximizing championships but it isn't good for the long term growth of the sport.

I would rather watch a decent team year in and year out that ebbs and flows between winning and losing than a team that craters regularly but has a 10 percent better chance of winning a championship in the good years because of the craters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pretty disappointing they don't want to put a watchable team on the field with players that fans know and like. I don't really care for the plan of cutting and burning the MLB roster to make a 2-3 year run every ten years. I would rather be a fan year in and year out and feel a connection with the players than be encouraged to ignore full seasons of Major League Baseball and jump back in when the team is good.

This model may be efficient in terms of maximizing championships but it isn't good for the long term growth of the sport.

I would rather watch a decent team year in and year out that ebbs and flows between winning and losing than a team that craters regularly but has a 10 percent better chance of winning a championship in the good years because of the craters.

The fact that you think this cratering is a plan and not forced on them given the circumstances, show that you haven't been paying attention. This is the beginning of the process to get to a new system, not the middle of it.