I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Woah.

Trevor Bauer to the REDS.

Nobody saw THAT coming

I wonder how much of that was the incident and how much of it was the result of a trade that was in the making already. I saw the incident and it seemed he did it out of frustration with his performance and not that Francona was taking him out. It was one hell of a throw. Considering it was a three team trade, I doubt much of it was impulsive.

Just now, Sessh said:

I wonder how much of that was the incident and how much of it was the result of a trade that was in the making already. I saw the incident and it seemed he did it out of frustration with his performance and not that Francona was taking him out. It was one hell of a throw. Considering it was a three team trade, I doubt much of it was impulsive.

• Indians get: Yasiel Puig (CIN), Franmil Reyes (SDP) and Logan Allen (SDP)
  • Reds get: Trevor Bauer
  • Padres get: Taylor Trammel (CIN)

• 2 weeks later...

Among SS Villar ranks,

13th OPS

8th OBP

2nd SB

10th 2B

15th HR

13th RBI

13th Avg

6th Hits

5th Runs

It’s looking like he’s going to get that $8 million+ in arbitration, and it’s looking like he’ll be back with us next year. 1.019 OPS in August. Maybe the trade stuff was bothering him?  The dudes having a great year and is going to go 20/20 easily with 100 runs scored. Those are just baseline numbers, he could really put up some big totals. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Among SS Villar ranks,

13th OPS

8th OBP

2nd SB

10th 2B

15th HR

13th RBI

13th Avg

6th Hits

5th Runs

It’s looking like he’s going to get that $8 million+ in arbitration, and it’s looking like he’ll be back with us next year. 1.019 OPS in August. Maybe the trade stuff was bothering him?  The dudes having a great year and is going to go 20/20 easily with 100 runs scored. Those are just baseline numbers, he could really put up some big totals. 

You've listed his rating among SSs, so I'm guessing you're arguing he should be our SS next year. I don't. He's played more 2B than SS for the Orioles. To me, he's just not a ML-quality SS defensively, and he's unlikely to become one in next season,  when he'll turn 29. Comparing his offensive statistics to those of guys who really can play SS is, in my opinion, misleading.

I'm OK with Villar at 2B, where my eyes tell me he's a little below average defensively, and would like to see him at 2B, and as a backup SS, next season. The SABR Defensive Index (through July 7) sees things differently. Villar ranks 18th out of the 20 AL second basemen who are rated. He's not rated at SS. (Richie Martin is ranked last among the 19 AL shortstops who are rated.)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

You've listed his rating among SSs, so I'm guessing you're arguing he should be our SS next year. I don't. He's played more 2B than SS for the Orioles. To me, he's just not a ML-quality SS defensively, and he's unlikely to become one in next season,  when he'll turn 29. Comparing his offensive statistics to those of guys who really can play SS is, in my opinion, misleading.

I'm OK with Villar at 2B, where my eyes tell me he's a little below average defensively, and would like to see him at 2B, and as a backup SS, next season. The SABR Defensive Index (through July 7) sees things differently. Villar ranks 18th out of the 20 AL second basemen who are rated. He's not rated at SS. (Richie Martin is ranked last among the 19 AL shortstops who are rated.)

The 2020 Orioles won't carry his expense. 

On 7/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, Sessh said:

I saw Strasburg gesture to his manager, and verbally tell him to stay in the dugout his last start. Then he argued with the C in the dugout for the C saying he was done, but Strasburg got labeled as a tough competitor.