40 man additions for rule 5 protection?

HowAboutThat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Right. And he got picked.

He also amounted to nothing for us, while taking up a roster spot on a team that should have been a contender coming off of 2014. Admittedly, looking at his stats, he was not as much of a disaster as I remember him being. Anyway, if Peralta is our Jason Garcia, I am fine with letting him slip away if we have another good use for the spot, including someone else's Santander.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The league moving to 26 players next season makes it easier for the O's to carry Davis on the major league active roster.

The issue to me is next year some of our MiL will be graduating and on the big league team. 

Davis is not a bench player. If he isn’t playing much it makes no sense to keep him. 

Btw, why all the hate for Wilkerson? He’s not the Cavalry charging over the hill, but he’s a solid and careful defender at multiple positions, he’s fast and he has a bit of pop. Pretty much the perfect utility guy. Lots of guys I’d dump before putting his head on the block. He deserves to remain on the 40-man, and he may be part of the next good team.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Btw, why all the hate for Wilkerson? He’s not the Cavalry charging over the hill, but he’s a solid and careful defender at multiple positions, he’s fast and he has a bit of pop. Pretty much the perfect utility guy. Lots of guys I’d dump before putting his head on the block. He deserves to remain on the 40-man, and he may be part of the next good team.

Agreed. I think he’ll stick around. He’s athletic. He’s a late bloomer & I could see him developing more power. It’s his rookie season. 

He might have to give up switch hitting though. .370 OPS against LHP. .263/.305/.474 against RHP. 

A bench of a backup catcher (Sisco/Severino), Wilkerson, Alberto, and a 4th OF(McKenna type) is a good, versatile bench. 

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am not advocating protecting Peralta. I'm saying teams take a flier on someone like him.  I'm sure I would protect fewer than most around here. I was against protecting Luis Gonzalez last year when Wildcard and others were insisting we should protect him.

Just being picked is no big deal. A player has to stick. Otherwise we get him back. I’m forever astonished that we never gave up in Garcia, even though he gave no reason not to do so. So I’m not too worried about our fringe guys.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am not advocating protecting Peralta. I'm saying teams take a flier on someone like him.  I'm sure I would protect fewer than most around here. I was against protecting Luis Gonzalez last year when Wildcard and others were insisting we should protect him.

You are better than I am at picking the Rule 5 guys year after year.   

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

He is 27 years-old, has a 73 OPS+ and has accrued -0.6 rWAR in 237 plate appearances this season. The perfect utility guy plays a passable shortstop and is not sub-replacement level. Ryan Flaherty was an ideal utility guy, Stevie Wilkerson is not.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Alvarado should be added to the 40-man roster this season and given a trial run in the majors in September to see how worthy he is of protecting.

Well...if you add him now, then he's already protected unless you were planning to DFA him. Doing that would be WAY more likely to lose him.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He is 27 years-old, has a 73 OPS+ and has accrued -0.6 rWAR in 237 plate appearances this season. The perfect utility guy plays a passable shortstop and is not sub-replacement level. Ryan Flaherty was an ideal utility guy, Stevie Wilkerson is not.

Wilkerson is also being shoe horned into a brand new position (center field). 

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Well...if you add him now, then he's already protected unless you were planning to DFA him. Doing that would be WAY more likely to lose him.

If he shows promise, you keep him. If he doesn't, you either lose him and it doesn't matter, or you don't.

31 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wilkerson is also being shoe horned into a brand new position (center field). 

He was terrible in the infield.  He is a better centerfielder than infielder.  He will be 28 next season.  I don't see anyway he would be protected on the 40 man. He was already DFA'd once this season and there were no takers. 

3 hours ago, TheDeau52 said:

The need to protect players on the 40-man, combined with the fact that he'll finally be blocking players from being called up (Mancini to first full-time lets us bring up Hays if warranted and Mountcastle as DH), makes me think/hope/pray that they finally cut their losses with Davis in the off-season.

We don't need to protect that many players on the 40 man.  That won't affect Davis' situation at all 

Archived