Austin Hays called up, Ryan Mountcastle not called up

MurphDogg

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martins .274 avg in the second half is moving him closer to getting move time at SS.  JMO.

Technically true, but incredibly misleading. Richie Martin hit .233 in July and .205 in August. That .274 average is totally driven by his last six games and 11 plate appearances when he has hit .455. Richie has definitely not hit in the second half...He's hit in the last week. Even with that hot streak his OPS for the last 28 days is below .600. I would love to see Martin develop into an average hitter, but he has been a complete disaster at the plate this season. 

p.s. The effect of the last week on Richie's second half stats highlights how little he has played since the all start break. He's had 91 plate appearances in the second half versus 198 in the first half. He started 56 games in the first half, but only 27 in the second half. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mountcastle actually walked a fair bit the last month of the season.   If progress on drawing walks was what they wanted to see to justify a call-up, he would have done enough to justify it IMO.    He walked 10 times in August, compared to 9 in May-July combined.    I’m sure this is an area he will need to continue to work on, but I don’t think it’s a real reason to hold him back, just a plausible justification along with his working on new defensive positions.   

I was not critiquing Mountcastle at all with that post. I was responding to LA2's comment that he didn't remember Buck or DD calling out players publicly. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd ask you to provide evidence showing his defense in left and/or first is "unplayable" but I know you can't.

I've seen him throw out a guy at home and make a nice catch at the wall in left, seemed playable to me, at least at a Mancini level.

I think we’ve had this conversation before, all I’m doing is repeating what other eyes have seen and other people have said.

Every single report I’ve seen,  and they’ve all been from well informed people, comments on his bad defense.

I don’t even know what the guy looks like, I’ve never seen him play, but when you read a lot of commentary that says his defense is a problem,  I don’t have a problem agreeing with that commentary. Meanwhile, well, I don’t have a problem with playing him and seeing how it goes. It’s not like he’s going to be unduly handicapping the team next year.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think we’ve had this conversation before, all I’m doing is repeating what other eyes have seen and other people have said.

Every single report I’ve seen,  and they’ve all been from well informed people, comments on his bad defense.

I don’t even know what the guy looks like, I’ve never seen him play, but when you read a lot of commentary that says his defense is a problem,  I don’t have a problem agreeing with that commentary. Meanwhile, well, I don’t have a problem with playing him and seeing how it goes. It’s not like he’s going to be unduly handicapping the team next year.

We have had it before and yet you continue to use words like unplayable without supporting evidence.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have had it before and yet you continue to use words like unplayable without supporting evidence.

I’m giving you plenty of supporting evidence, I’m telling you about every single scouting report that exists on Ryan Mountcastle that says his defense is bad, you can read, you’ve read them you know what they say. I have no need to go look them up for you, although I have in the past, go read them yourself.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Particularly since Mountcastle was a better hitter in the minor leagues than Santander was.  What was Santander hitting in Norfolk before he was called up?  I can’t ever recall a 22 year old Oriole getting the IL Player of the Year and our 46-96 sterling ballclub worries that he isn’t good enough for a trial?? 

I don’t think it’s that they consider him not good enough for a trial. It’s a combination of him learning new defensive positions and the controlling the service clock.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m giving you plenty of supporting evidence, I’m telling you about every single scouting report that exists on Ryan Mountcastle that says his defense is bad, you can read, you’ve read them you know what they say. I have no need to go look them up for you, although I have in the past, go read them yourself.

You have not shown me a link saying that his defense in left and first is "unplayable".  Heck there are hardly any opinions out there on his defense in left and first.

What is going on is that you heard his glove wasn't playable at short and third and have managed to convince yourself that means he Billy Rowell out there.

How about I give you your first look at Mountcastle in the outfield?

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

How about a couple links not saying his glove is unplayable at first or left?

https://birdswatcher.com/2019/08/04/baltimore-orioles-ryan-mountcastle-leads-way-young-age/

While not an elite defender, Mountcastle can more than hold his own at the position and looks like a veteran on defense, compared to his early play. You don’t see the hesitations, uncertainties on what his duties are on certain plays, and some of the routine blunders that come with inexperience. When you watch Mountcastle play first base, you see a confident defender who isn’t a liability, like he was at third base.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/norfolk-tides/article_26c96df2-9b65-11e9-b60f-1b9066e8f316.html

With runners on first and second and two outs in the first inning Sunday, Norfolk Tides left fielder Ryan Mountcastle chased a double off the bat of Charlotte's Yermin Mercedes into the corner, deftly played the carom and fired the ball to third base to keep the trailing runner from scoring.

In 60 games at first base for Norfolk, Mountcastle has committed just four errors in 496 total chances.

It took Mountcastle all of one game in left field, on June 25, to notch his first outfield assist when he threw to second to prevent a double.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have not shown me a link saying that his defense in left and first is "unplayable".  Heck there are hardly any opinions out there on his defense in left and first.

How about I give you your first look at Mountcastle in the outfield?

He hasn’t shown a link because it doesn’t exist. There’s also a quote from his coach on his play in LF which (paraphrasing) says he has more time to gather his feet and get his body behind his throws.

Perfectly logical that he can be an average defender there.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

He hasn’t shown a link because they don’t exist. There’s also a quote from his coach on his play in LF which (paraphrasing) says he has more time to gather his feet and get his body behind his throws.

Perfectly logical that he can be an average defender there.

I think he's one of those guys that thinks a player is either an elite defender or a total hack.  No in-between.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Show me anything that says he’s bad at 1B or LF.