The Davis/Elias meeting

interloper

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Promoting him next season is not rushing him.

There is nothing about his game that can not be worked on at the ML level instead of AAA.

I'm not sure we have the coaches to work with him on defense at the major league. level. I expect there will be some changes on the staff. We'll see.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't have enough information to be sure on this one.   For all I know Mountcastle is as good a defensive outfielder as Stewart.  

For all I know (which is completely nothing), he is as good a defensive outfielder as Dwight Smith Jr, and that's not good enough.

Chris Davis had a monster year in 2013 when he hit 53 homers and slashed .286/.370/.634/1.004. Here's his slash line before and after that season.

Before: .258/.310/.466/.775 in 1644 PAs
After: .210/.308/.422/.730 in 3235 PAs.

Here's Chris Davis since turning 30:

.198/.293/.382/.674 

Chris Davis last 855 PAs over the last two years:

.170/.251/.299/.550

So someone thinks there is some magic program that Chris Davis can work on this offseason that will suddenly make him good again? Someone think this is ok to have on the 26-man roster next year because the Orioles aren't going to contend?

All of this absurd!

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it would be irresponsible to let the Oriole position player of the year and the BA Oriole minor league player of the year and the International league MVP repeat a level.

I thought it was irresponsible to not bring him up in September for a taste of MLB.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Chris Davis had a monster year in 2013 when he hit 53 homers and slashed .286/.370/.634/1.004. Here's his slash line before and after that season.

Before: .258/.310/.466/.775 in 1644 PAs
After: .210/.308/.422/.730 in 3235 PAs.

Here's Chris Davis since turning 30:

.198/.293/.382/.674 

Chris Davis last 855 PAs over the last two years:

.170/.251/.299/.550

So someone thinks there is some magic program that Chris Davis can work on this offseason that will suddenly make him good again? Someone think this is ok to have on the 26-man roster next year because the Orioles aren't going to contend?

All of this absurd!

The good Davis that I remember looked hopped up.  He had that tobacco in his mouth and the nicotine or whatever had him wired with the bat.   I think he stopped the tobacco for health reasons.   He isn't wired anymore.   Maybe nicotine pills?  I don't think they are a banned substance.  

Just sayin'.   Not that I know what has caused his decline.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am sure there have been many of them.  Pedro Alvarez comes to mind.   Tommy Davis in his later years.   Terry Crowley.   

Those guys were league average or better bats, Chris Davis is the worst hitter in major league baseball, the only guys who are close play CF, C, or SS. We are talking multiple standard deviations of difference. We are talking worse than the average A+/AA hitter bad. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Those guys were league average or better bats, Chris Davis is the worst hitter in major league baseball, the only guys who are close play CF, C, or SS. We are talking multiple standard deviations of difference. We are talking worse than the average A+/AA hitter bad. 

Didn't say it was not different.  But it answered the question that Corn asked.

"Can you name a team that has a "bench player" who can only play first and DH?"

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That was not your question.   Go read it again.

The Crow's position was pinch hitter.  That is why he was on the team.  He wasn't there to play first base.

Look up his BB ref page.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/crowlte01.shtml

Positions: Pinch Hitter, Rightfielder and First Baseman