The Davis/Elias meeting

interloper

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

What do the asterisks and bold face signify?

They are out of date.  I have been keeping the list for a while.  The asterisks were the players on the 25 man list at that point.  The bold were the players I thought would be with the team next season.

The list overall list is the those players that I thought would be on the 40 man  roster for the Rule 5 draft.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I only have one statement about the Davis situation, if Davis is still not released, then that tells me the sons have no intention of releasing their father's biggest mistake. That tells me that Elias will have to work around this albatross and that tells me more about the sons than it does Elias.

There is no magic bean that is going to turn around Davis. I know Elias is a smart enough baseball man to know this and I know he knows he's done.

If Davis is on the team next season all it tells me is the Elias does not think the team is ready to win.    If they were ready to win Elias probably would not use a spot on Davis.   If Elias believes the team is not ready to win then there is not reason to eat that contract.

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

The real pressure point will be next spring...if Davis after the offseason is still doing nothing in spring training AND Mountcastle is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball....hard to see him not getting released. 

But if Mountcastle has a mediocre spring making it easy to send him back to Norfolk, then Davis may still be kept I fear. 

Mountcastle may get most of his playing time in left.  So he may have little to do with Davis who may be a bench player.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Davis is on the team next season all it tells me is the Elias does not think the team is ready to win.    If they were ready to win Elias probably would not use a spot on Davis.   If Elias believes the team is not ready to win then there is not reason to eat that contract.

If it was up to Elias, Davis would not be on the team in 2020 and probably not on the roster today. There is no benefit to Davis being on the roster except for the Angelos brothers not wanting to eat the contract. 

Mountcastle, Hays and others are going to be on the roster for most of or all the 2020 season, there is no reason for Davis to waste a valuable roster spot. It doesn't matter if the Orioles are ready to win. Young players need to get experience when they are ready. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If it was up to Elias, Davis would not be on the team in 2020 and probably not on the roster today. There is no benefit to Davis being on the roster except for the Angelos brothers not wanting to eat the contract. 

Mountcastle, Hays and others are going to be on the roster for most of or all the 2020 season, there is no reason for Davis to waste a valuable roster spot. It doesn't matter if the Orioles are ready to win. Young players need to get experience when they are ready. 

Elias is trying to make the payroll has lower as he can.  That way he can use the money to build the organization.   A good example of that is  Carroll was injured all season.   He was on the 40 man roster but had been optioned to the minors and was earning a minor league salary.   If Elias wanted to use that 40 man roster spot all he had to do was call up Carroll and put on the 60 day IL.   But that would have cost Elias probably 450k to do that.  Less has the season went on.   But it never happen.   Elias believed saving the money was more important than the roster spot.  I doubt the Angelos brothers were involved in that.

I think that shows that Elias on his own will save money were he can.   Keeping Davis on the roster saves him 555k for the player that would take Davis spot.  While the O's are losing I expect that to continue.  The roster spot becomes more important when the O's start to win.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

There are plenty of reason to eat that contract at this point.

1) Davis is never going to get better
2) He's taking up a roster spot from a position (1B/DH) that is now is going to get crowded with actual good players (Mancini/Nunez/Mountcastle) and DJ Stewart needs to DH as well.
3) Orioles fans need to be shown the future, not mistakes of the past
4) One less headache for Hyde

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There are plenty of reason to eat that contract at this point.

1) Davis is never going to get better 
2) He's taking up a roster spot from a position (1B/DH) that is now is going to get crowded with actual good players (Mancini/Nunez/Mountcastle) and DJ Stewart needs to DH as well.
3) Orioles fans need to be shown the future, not mistakes of the past
4) One less headache for Hyde

1) Davis has said the O's are already mapping out a new plan for him.

2)There is no crowd.  Mancini 1B, Nunez DH, Mountcastle LF, Stewart is a back up OF.  Davis is a bench player.

3) One bench player does not prevent the O's from showing the fans the future

4) Keeping Davis saves 555k for his replacement.

Other than that we completely agree.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

2)There is no crowd.  Mancini 1B, Nunez DH, Mountcastle LF, Stewart is a back up OF.  Davis is a bench player.

1) You say this as if it is a counter to @Tony-OH's point. So, we're now supposed to buy into yet another attempt to fix Davis? It's not entirely impossible that Davis turns things around, but ask Vegas what the odds of this are.

2) Mountcastle's spot is yet to be determined, yet you put him in LF without noting he may be just as likely to handle 1B/DH.  Davis is not a bench player, but rather put's us at a disadvantage over virtually any other team we play, who carry a more useful player than we would.

3) One player that is reminder of the mistakes made before this new regime was brought in. While we can work around him, why should we?

4) I don't mean to seem, well, mean, but... this is one of the worst arguments I've ever seen on the Hangout. Let's not ditch the worst player in baseball because we don't want to fork out a whole additional 555k? Wow.

You're sticking to your guns... but you ran out of bullets. ?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yep, we cleary see this differently.

I will be extremely disappointed if Davis is even in spring training next year. It will be the first time I will have concerns over Elias having the control he should have from ownership.

I will also lose respect for the Angelos brothers that I've built up since they've taken over day to day ownership responsibilities from their father.

This Davis charade needs to end.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

1) You say this as if it is a counter to @Tony-OH's point. So, we're now supposed to buy into yet another attempt to fix Davis? It's not entirely impossible that Davis turns things around, but ask Vegas what the odds of this are.

2) Mountcastle's spot is yet to be determined, yet you put him in LF without noting he may be just as likely to handle 1B/DH.  Davis is not a bench player, but rather put's us at a disadvantage over virtually any other team we play, who carry a more useful player than we would.

3) One player that is reminder of the mistakes made before this new regime was brought in. While we can work around him, why should we?

4) I don't mean to seem, well, mean, but... this is one of the worst arguments I've ever seen on the Hangout. Let's not ditch the worst player in baseball because we don't want to fork out a whole additional 555k? Wow.

You're sticking to your guns... but you ran out of bullets. ?

4)  OK, a friendly bet right now.    No money just a bet.  I say Davis will begin 2020 on the O's 25 man roster.   What say you?

Note:  My opinion is held by a majority of the Hangout.  68% say he has not played his last game with the O's.   https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36366-will-this-weekend-be-the-last-time-we-see-chris-davis-in-baltimore/