Orioles Claim Pitcher Cole Sulser Off Waivers From Tampa Bay

weams

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, he's similar to Phillips, a little less velocity, little more ride on the fastball. 

Well, I trust Mike, if he says he’s worth a gamble sure why not.

I really wish we could’ve picked up Corey Sadler when the Rays designated him. He went to the Dodgers of all places, and apparently did well with them.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, I trust Mike, if he says he’s worth a gamble sure why not.

I really wish we could’ve picked up Corey Sadler when the Rays designated him. He went to the Dodgers of all places, and apparently did well with them.

Phillips did lead the Orioles in FIP this year. It's a very very low risk gamble, all Sulser's expected to be as the last man on the 40 is an up and down guy (he has 3 options), which I think fits his abilities. 

4 hours ago, REDMAN said:

Just another pitcher you pick up, wait till a busy time, and put back on waiver hopping you can sent to Norfolk.

Not sure about that. The Rays are just loaded with pitching and bullpen options. Austin Brice 2.0?

I sure hope Elias takes advantage of our waiver wire position this winter. I also don’t believe we have the 40 man crunch that some do. We gave lots of pitchers chances last year and they mostly got lit up pretty bad. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not sure about that. The Rays are just loaded with pitching and bullpen options. Austin Brice 2.0?

I sure hope Elias takes advantage of our waiver wire position this winter. I also don’t believe we have the 40 man crunch that some do. We gave lots of pitchers chances last year and they mostly got lit up pretty bad. 

Austin Brice pitched 44 innings of 3.43 ERA ball for the Marlins. Although his fielding independent metrics weren't nearly as good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Actually yes. The timestamp of the threads at Orioleshangout.com had me one minute before you. 

I was not fooled. Thanks though. 

Oh well. When I merged them my thread showed first so must be something I am unaware of . 

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Austin Brice pitched 44 innings of 3.43 ERA ball for the Marlins. Although his fielding independent metrics weren't nearly as good. 

Yeah I was making a positive comparison. Brice was one of the few DFA mistakes Elias made last winter. That and DFA’ing Alberto. Luckily we got him back.