Chris Davis salary dump matches

Just Regular

8 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I didn't say anything about competitive balance.  Its just the most logical place to put a team, outside of maybe LA.

And baseball has changed quite a bit since 1957.

I put your post in only for I’m context to the post from VaBird1 to which I was responding.   He was suggesting that the resistance to putting a 3rd team in the NY/NJ was “a major problem for MLB.”    I interpreted that post (not yours) to be a comment on competitive balance.    

And while baseball has changed a lot since 1957, my point was that competitive balance has not gotten worse since then.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I put your post in only for I’m context to the post from VaBird1 to which I was responding.   He was suggesting that the resistance to putting a 3rd team in the NY/NJ was “a major problem for MLB.”    I interpreted that post (not yours) to be a comment on competitive balance.    

And while baseball has changed a lot since 1957, my point was that competitive balance has not gotten worse since then.    

Brooks Robinson said both the Orioles and Twins were at 4k for him. The same money. He said he did not know how much his Dad got. 

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

A whim like the MASN deal that permitted the Expos to move to DC in exchange for the O's giving up part of their protected territory?

That was a concession on the part of the owners. They knew Angelos was getting screwed so they throw him a bone to calm him down . If the MLB really wanted to put a team into Jersey, the same thing would happen wrt to the Yankees/Mets

Edited by GuidoSarducci

On 10/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, ShaneDawg85 said:

Nobody in baseball, dead money for dead money or not, is going to trade for Chris Davis. Let's not even kid ourselves into thinking that somebody will take on that contract, no matter who the Orioles would take back.  

o

Agreed.

Unless there is a masochistic GM out there somewhere, the thread title of "Chris Davis Salary Dump Matches" is an oxymoron.

o

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

That was a concession on the part of the owners. They knew Angelos was getting screwed so they throw him a bone to calm him down . If the MLB really wanted to put a team into Jersey, the same thing would happen wrt to the Yankees/Mets

I'm sure the Yankees/Mets would go for that, because look how well the MASN deal has turned out for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm sure the Yankees/Mets would go for that, because look how well the MASN deal has turned out for everyone involved.

Yes, the MLB won't make that same mistake again - for a hypothetical NJ team, any shared broadcasting revenue agreement would probably stipulate that the broadcast rights cannot be to a network that is owned by any other Major League team.   But they might go the simpler route, and just simply share the territory.  i.e, each team would be free to sell its broadcasting rights, in NJ, at least to any netowork they want.  I think this is how it goes in the SF Bay Area with the A's and Giants.  This may be where the Os and Nats are headed

3 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yes, the MLB won't make that same mistake again - for a hypothetical NJ team, any shared broadcasting revenue agreement would probably stipulate that the broadcast rights cannot be to a network that is owned by any other Major League team.   But they might go the simpler route, and just simply share the territory.  i.e, each team would be free to sell its broadcasting rights, in NJ, at least to any netowork they want.  I think this is how it goes in the SF Bay Area with the A's and Giants.  This may be where the Os and Nats are headed

The Yankees and Mets would probably be willing to settle for a one-time fee of $500 million or so, each, to give up their rights to the NJ audience. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tilting again at this windmill, how about we help the Red Sox keep Mookie Betts while meeting new GM Bloom's goal (not mandate, mind you) of avoiding the Competitive Balance Tax?

Davis with a $23 cap number owed 3/63 + deferred stuff

Rusney Castillo with 1/14 to go (though I think this is the one that doesn't count against their CBT)

Dustin Pedroia with a $14 cap number and 2/25 to go

Those are the two glaring ones - in view of the goals, they perhaps now regret the 3/51 to go on World Series hero Nate Eovaldi.

Davis vs. Pedroia/Eovaldi saves them $8M on the CBT in 2020.  The total outlay for the Boston trio is $90M over the remainder of their contracts.   

So for the Orioles it is $27M extra over the 3 years, maybe less over the longer term if any of the Davis deferrals could be sent as well.  We get Nate Eovaldi to tinker with, and Rusney Castillo out of his artificial prison.  He very likely can't play at all, but has been meh at AAA the last couple years and may have been an idol of Yusniel Diaz's youth.  Also, "Oriole" Dustin Pedroia.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Tilting again at this windmill, how about we help the Red Sox keep Mookie Betts while meeting new GM Bloom's goal (not mandate, mind you) of avoiding the Competitive Balance Tax?

Davis with a $23 cap number owed 3/63 + deferred stuff

Rusney Castillo with 1/14 to go (though I think this is the one that doesn't count against their CBT)

Dustin Pedroia with a $14 cap number and 2/25 to go

Those are the two glaring ones - in view of the goals, they perhaps now regret the 3/51 to go on World Series hero Nate Eovaldi.

Davis vs. Pedroia/Eovaldi saves them $8M on the CBT in 2020.  The total outlay for the Boston trio is $90M over the remainder of their contracts.   

So for the Orioles it is $27M extra over the 3 years, maybe less over the longer term if any of the Davis deferrals could be sent as well.  We get Nate Eovaldi to tinker with, and Rusney Castillo out of his artificial prison.  He very likely can't play at all, but has been meh at AAA the last couple years and may have been an idol of Yusniel Diaz's youth.  Also, "Oriole" Dustin Pedroia.

Castillo doesn't as long as he stays in the minors.

Interesting piece on the situation:  https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/18/boston-red-sox-rusney-castillo