Meoli: Blood/Sig/Elias setting the culture prior to new coaching hires

interloper

18 minutes ago, Obando said:

One guy who I would love to get from the Astros is Charlie Gonzalez, who is a longtime scouting advisor who worked with Mike & Sig going back to their St. Louis days.  Gonzalez is more of an old school type of scout, but he’s well versed in how they run the draft process by combining scouting with analytics, so it would be a seamless transition, and he also seems to have a knack for finding good players.  Gonzalez is considered the driving force behind the acquisition of Yordan Alvarez in a trade with the Dodgers, as Gonzalez and Ocampo scouted him as an amateur and loved him, but they lost out to the Dodgers, who offered more money.  Considering that guys like Gonzalez, Ocampo & Goldstein all worked for many years with Mike & Sig, I would not be surprised if they leave to come to Baltimore for better positions & pay as long as their contracts are expiring at the end of this month and they want out.  Just something to keep an eye on with no true scouting director position filled yet and what appears to be room for another assistant GM or two, since Sig’s assistant GM title delineates that he oversees analytics specifically.

Gonzalez got a head start on every other major league team and first alerted the Astros of Álvarez's existence. The veteran scout patrols the Cuban market and sees the Astros' top draft picks. He's worked with Luhnow since 2005, dating back to his days in St. Louis.

Sure hope Luhnow has ticked him off or all of them. That would be outstanding. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, John Welch said:

Gonzalez got a head start on every other major league team and first alerted the Astros of Álvarez's existence. The veteran scout patrols the Cuban market and sees the Astros' top draft picks. He's worked with Luhnow since 2005, dating back to his days in St. Louis.

Sure hope Luhnow has ticked him off or all of them. That would be outstanding. 

Sig started working for Luhnow in 2005 as well, and he chose to leave after last season.  That doesn’t mean Sig left because he wasn’t happy with the culture, but it goes to show that despite his allegiance to Luhnow for giving him his first job in baseball, he didn’t feel beholden to him.  I don’t know how Charlie Gonzalez feels about the organization’s culture, but if he were going to leave the Astros for anyone, it would likely be to go to the Orioles to work with Mike & Sig again.  I’m sure Mike & Sig have at least broached the subject to all of the people I mentioned in my prior post, so we’ll see if any of them end up leaving to come here.  I think it would only be likely if their contracts are expiring and they choose not to stay, as opposed to Elias requesting permission from Luhnow to interview them.  I’m sure Elias is aware of whose contracts are about to expire among Astros front office staff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Obando said:

Sig started working for Luhnow in 2005 as well, and he chose to leave after last season.  That doesn’t mean Sig left because he wasn’t happy with the culture, but it goes to show that despite his allegiance to Luhnow for giving him his first job in baseball, he didn’t feel beholden to him.  I don’t know how Charlie Gonzalez feels about the organization’s culture, but if he were going to leave the Astros for anyone, it would likely be to go to the Orioles to work with Mike & Sig again.  I’m sure Mike & Sig have at least broached the subject to all of the people I mentioned in my prior post, so we’ll see if any of them end up leaving to come here.  I think it would only be likely if their contracts are expiring and they choose not to stay, as opposed to Elias requesting permission from Luhnow to interview them.  I’m sure Elias is aware of whose contracts are about to expire among Astros front office staff.

I agree and can't find anything showing their contracts or length. Sure hope it works out. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, El Gordo said:

Just need to hire Sweat and Tears and we're on our way. Reminds me of the beginnings of the Oriole Way.....back in the day.

I saw Blood, Sweat, and Tears play for free once after an O's game. Now only if I went to the game that Joan Jett played afterwards...