O’s were terrible on replay challenges in 2019

Frobby

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just stumbled on the fact that the O’s succeeded on only 11 of 30 replay challenges in 2019.     Their 36% success rate was 28th among the 30 teams and their 11 successful challenges were the fewest in MLB.     

A few other tidbits:

- The Royals had the highest success rate, at 82% (23 of 28).

- Texas had the most successful challenges, at 29 (of 46).

- The Twins had the worst success rate, at 30% (12 for 39).

- The Padres made the most challenges, with 54 (46% successful).

- The Yankees made the fewest challenges, at 22 (68% successful).

You don't need to make as many challenges if you're getting more favorable calls in the first place.

• Upvote 1

I wish they would get rid of the challenges.  They want a faster game yet they have these needless challenges slowing the game down.  I don’t understand the need for games to be perfectly called.  What is wrong with the human element?  Players make tons of mistakes and we live with it.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I wish they would get rid of the challenges.  They want a faster game yet they have these needless challenges slowing the game down.  I don’t understand the need for games to be perfectly called.  What is wrong with the human element?  Players make tons of mistakes and we live with it.

I agree, no more challenges.  Have someone sit in the booth watching the game and tell the umps when they're wrong right away.  Much quicker.

"The human element" is just another phrase for "I value not having pauses in the game over getting it right despite the fact baseball is already broken up into nine innings with long pauses between each half-inning, plus all the pitching changes, plus stepping out before every pitch, and every time the manager or coach comes out to calm down the pitcher or stall for time, and the arguing, and sending in pinch runners, and waiting to pinch hit until the pitching change is made...  but all those are fine.  I'm drawing the line at a couple replay reviews a game."

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I agree, no more challenges.  Have someone sit in the booth watching the game and tell the umps when they're wrong right away.  Much quicker.

"The human element" is just another phrase for "I value not having pauses in the game over getting it right despite the fact baseball is already broken up into nine innings with long pauses between each half-inning, plus all the pitching changes, plus stepping out before every pitch, and every time the manager or coach comes out to calm down the pitcher or stall for time, and the arguing, and sending in pinch runners, and waiting to pinch hit until the pitching change is made...  but all those are fine.  I'm drawing the line at a couple replay reviews a game."

Anytime when you have to wait to see if something good happened for your team is bad.  I like the instant decisions.  Like in football, you can't even celebrate touchdowns because every touchdown is reviewed.   It ruins the game and the calls on replays are not even that accurate.  What is wrong with having a few wrong calls? It worked for over a hundred years but now we have to sit through these boring reviews and what do we get out of it?

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Anytime when you have to wait to see if something good happened for your team is bad.  I like the instant decisions.  Like in football, you can't even celebrate touchdowns because every touchdown is reviewed.   It ruins the game and the calls on replays are not even that accurate.  What is wrong with having a few wrong calls? It worked for over a hundred years but now we have to sit through these boring reviews and what do we get out of it?

Inherent in sports is the idea that we're deciding the games based on the abilities and skills of the participants, to the greatest extent possible.  Before technology caught up we really didn't know if the umps were right or wrong.  Now we know.  Now everyone knows.  The vast majority of the time within seconds we know if the ump was right or wrong.  

"The replays are not even that accurate."  I'm not even sure how to respond to that.  They're dramatically more accurate than people trying to judge bang-bang plays they often have poor views of in real time.

Ignoring all that and accepting that games will be decided incorrectly because we didn't want to do it isn't going to fly anymore.  It did in 1880 and 1920 and 1970 because there was no better standard, but there is now.  Baseball has no problem with 11 pitching changes and arguing and adjusting batting gloves 19 times an at bat.  But we're going to accept obviously wrong calls that decide key games because it interrupts the game?  Really?  Without replay an average 2019 MLB game has like 30 commercial breaks.  33 is straw that broke the camel's back?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So are we saying that if we can get the replay % up, we have a chance at .500 ???

o

If the replay rulings are decided by a group of Oriole fans instead of by a committee in New York City, I think that we have a chance at seeing a 90-plus win team.

o

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Inherent in sports is the idea that we're deciding the games based on the abilities and skills of the participants, to the greatest extent possible.  Before technology caught up we really didn't know if the umps were right or wrong.  Now we know.  Now everyone knows.  The vast majority of the time within seconds we know if the ump was right or wrong.  

"The replays are not even that accurate."  I'm not even sure how to respond to that.  They're dramatically more accurate than people trying to judge bang-bang plays they often have poor views of in real time.

Ignoring all that and accepting that games will be decided incorrectly because we didn't want to do it isn't going to fly anymore.  It did in 1880 and 1920 and 1970 because there was no better standard, but there is now.  Baseball has no problem with 11 pitching changes and arguing and adjusting batting gloves 19 times an at bat.  But we're going to accept obviously wrong calls that decide key games because it interrupts the game?  Really?  Without replay an average 2019 MLB game has like 30 commercial breaks.  33 is straw that broke the camel's back?

You are also dealing with skills of the umpires. It is just entertainment.  Why does everything have to be perfect.  There is luck involved with everything in sports.  And I am saying people reviewing get calls wrong all the time as well.  

It is just this weird mentality where people demand perfection where it doesn't exist. I have no problem if balls and strikes are called by a machine if they are called by a machine on every pitch and there isn't a delay.   The delay also ruins the excitement. If you have a close play at the plate you don't know if a run scored or not until after 5 minutes of delays. I prefer the instant knowing of the result over perfection.  

And I do have a problem with the 11 pitching changes. If there are two pitching changes in an inning I turn the game off.  It is ridiculous.  Baseball has ceased to be entertaining for a lot of games.  If they don't do something to rectify the game they won't have any fans left than a few curmudgeons who won't stop following the game to prove a point. 

I don't have any problem with a key game being decided by a bad call. It is just part of the game.  Gives you something to discuss with people.