Jealous

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Check out what his peer group got that same offseason.

It was a huge misreading of the market.

I think other teams might not have signed him at all since he would have cost a draft pick.

I think I suggested 2/16 if they had to bring him back.

ok, so lets play this game, you are right. 16, instead of 37, is 21.5, which compared to 200 million. nothing.

Belle and 65 million in 1998 dollars, is the same as 100 million.

Sorry, IMO, its wasteful, not in the same league and insanely stupid, just stupid.

But, we can agree to disagree. yet again. lol

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

ok, so lets play this game, you are right. 16, instead of 37, is 21.5, which compared to 200 million. nothing.

Belle and 65 million in 1998 dollars, is the same as 100 million.

Sorry, IMO, its wasteful, not in the same league and insanely stupid, just stupid.

But, we can agree to disagree. yet again. lol

I am looking at process not results, it is why I haven't mentioned Cobb.

Also the O's recouped a lot of the Belle money.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am looking at process not results, it is why I haven't mentioned Cobb.

Also the O's recouped a lot of the Belle money.

The Trumbo deal turned out badly, and it was an overpay to begin with, but it never bothered me all that much because it wasn’t a franchise-crippling mistake.   At the time, his salary was about 7.5% of the Orioles’ payroll (though that percentage increased drastically this year).   Belle’s was about double that percentage of the payroll.   Plus, the Davis deal was so terrible that Trumbo just seems like a minor blip.   But I certainly agree that the O’s misread the market that season, plus they misread the potential of Mancini.

I grew up in DC in the 80s. I always supported baseball in DC but when it finally happened I could not just quit the Orioles. I never thought for a second of changing teams. Now, all the Nats fans I know are recent transplants who have jumped on the bandwagon, not old timers who were waiting for baseball to come back. A few DC kids who I know for a fact were not really into baseball as kids. I wouldnt say that I am jealous so much as I just don't think they deserve it, if that makes any sense.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

That is a lot more people than watch regular season Orioles games.  It is a new league. I know in your misogynistic mind women can't do anything worth watching.  Baseball viewership is declining rapidly.  None of the first five World Series games even drew 12 million viewers this year.  The 2004 series the minimum viewers for the five games was 23 million.  In 1988 the minimum game viewership was 30 million.  

You should read the entirety of the Twitter comments he made. This is a FOX exec so he does have an incentive to promote MLB but still. 

The world has changed. You can’t compare ratings from 30 years ago. The top rated shows nowadays don’t sniff the top rated shows from decades ago. 

I do think the World Series is not as big of a deal as it was years ago but in the world we live in nothing is the same. 

Nationals won what,, 93 games? If they played in the AL East with the Orioles schedule I doubt they would've even made the playoffs.  

The Orioles are stuck in the Yankees division and the Red Sox division and we have to compete against those huge payrolls and we play those teams more often. That's a big part of the reason the Orioles have not won since 1983.  I wish we'd be moved to another division like the Astros were. 

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Baltimore would not support an AHL team.  I went to the Bandits games and there were probably 200 fans per game there.  It was empty.  Matt Cullen retired in July and he was the last former Bandit still playing hockey after 21 years in the NHL.   So it has been a long time. I think they could support an NHL team.  It is not like DC would want to support a Triple A baseball team if they didn't have the Nationals. 

Anyway AHL hockey is much more exciting than AAA baseball.  I have been to many Hershey Bears games over the years.   I don't think an arena has to do with anything.  

Baltimore may be too much of a big league city to support a minor league team, I agree with that. I still think the Arena is a dump and hurts attracting any sporting events. Maryland basketball played their last year but the attendance was very poor. Unfortunately I wasn’t surprised when they didn’t come back this year.

That said I just don’t see the city getting another professional team. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

You should read the entirety of the Twitter comments he made. This is a FOX exec so he does have an incentive to promote MLB but still. 

The world has changed. You can’t compare ratings from 30 years ago. The top rated shows nowadays don’t sniff the top rated shows from decades ago. 

I do think the World Series is not as big of a deal as it was years ago but in the world we live in nothing is the same. 

Stanley Cup and NBA finals don’t seem to have the same downward spiral.  Younger generation just doesn’t Seem to care about baseball.  

7 hours ago, atomic said:

Stanley Cup and NBA finals don’t seem to have the same downward spiral.  Younger generation just doesn’t Seem to care about baseball.  

Stanley Cup Game 7 had a 4.9 rating. 8.7M. That was crushed. 

NBA finals many years out rate the WS. The NBA also does not get the ratings it did years ago. 

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

What is the point you’re trying to make here?   Putting MASN to one side, per Forbes in 2018 the Nats had $85 mm more in revenue than the O’s, including $74 mm more in gate receipts.    So what the Nats spend has little bearing on what the O’s can spend.   Moreover, there’s a time to spend on payroll and a time not to spend.    Back when they were building the franchise by drafting Strasburg and Harper, their payroll was under $70 mm.

Obviously they Nationals have more gate revenue when the Os are losing 100+ games. I don't buy the rest of the financial stuff regardless of the source.

15 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles have spent money over the years, but one could argue that they was not fiscally responsible in their spending.

I'm not saying they didn't spend or won't when they have a shot of winning. It's the few here that insist they are poor that I was directing the post at. Frobby was that guy either.

27 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not saying they didn't spend or won't when they have a shot of winning. It's the few here that insist they are poor that I was directing the post at. Frobby was that guy either.

Yeah, I don’t buy the crying poor, nor do I buy the idea that they are one of the wealthiest teams in baseball thanks to MASN.   They’re basically a middle of the market team.   

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I grew up in DC in the 80s. I always supported baseball in DC but when it finally happened I could not just quit the Orioles. I never thought for a second of changing teams. Now, all the Nats fans I know are recent transplants who have jumped on the bandwagon, not old timers who were waiting for baseball to come back. A few DC kids who I know for a fact were not really into baseball as kids. I wouldnt say that I am jealous so much as I just don't think they deserve it, if that makes any sense.

Yes, it makes sense.  It mirrors my position on expansion teams.  They should be bad.  They should be the '62 Mets.  They shouldn't be like the Vegas hockey team or the D'Backs and be in the championship with zero history.  It shouldn't be a thing that fanbases that have put up with the Orioles or Pirates or Mariners for decades and decades get immediately passed by a huge infusion of a rich guy's money into a team that didn't exist a week ago Thursday and whose fans are there for the same reason they went to the new Flavored Oxygen/Juice bar down the block.

Although an argument can be made that the Nats have been a thing for 14 years, and Washington first had pro baseball circa 1872.