Which 2019 Orioles Could Have Played for Houston or DC?

mdbdotcom

Since the Nats had a 5.68 bullpen ERA (13th-worst since WWII), compared to the Orioles' 5.79 (8th worst since WWII), I'd guess that most of the O's pen could have been swapped with the Nats' and nobody would have noticed.  And since the O's pen had to cover 150 more innings you could argue that their top 8 or 10 relievers were probably better than the Nats'.

• Upvote 2

Means would have been the 4th starter for Houston and probably used how the Nats used Corbin. Straight bullpen guy for the Nats who probably only pitches when behind or up by more than 3.

Mancini I would see as Platoon with Reddick on Houston, and no role at all on Washington outside of pinch hitting for the pitcher in games 3 4 and 5. 

Severino would slot in nice as Houston's back up catcher. Basically was the same thing as their starter by raw stats. 

Someone mentioned Villar but he has no role on either team. Nats have Turner and a rotation at 2B. Stros have Correra and Altuve. So I would guess back up for Houston and pinch hitter in games 3 4 5.

Other than that maybe if you want to get into specifics about certain bullpen arms that wouldn't matter because as we saw the Nats avoided their bullpen problem by just going to Corbin into Doolittle and or Hudson. Houston looks like they might have a swap option but half a dozen vs 6 in one hand type of thing IMO. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nite said:

Mancini I would see as Platoon with Reddick on Houston, and no role at all on Washington outside of pinch hitting for the pitcher in games 3 4 and 5. 

Mancini would have been the 4th-best hitter on the Nats, and their first basemen (Adams and Zimmerman) OPS'd under .750.  Mancini also out-hit Reddick by 175 points of OPS, which I think is more than enough to cover their defensive differences.  Mancini was a 3.3-win player primarily as a RF, while in a similar role Reddick was worth 1.2 wins.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mancini would have been the 4th-best hitter on the Nats, and their first basemen (Adams and Zimmerman) OPS'd under .750.  Mancini also out-hit Reddick by 175 points of OPS, which I think is more than enough to cover their defensive differences.  Mancini was a 3.3-win player primarily as a RF, while in a similar role Reddick was worth 1.2 wins.

But, but, but he was an Oriole...

?

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Ok, but there is no chance the Washington Nationals wouldn't play Zimmerman. Simply wouldn't happen. So he has no role on their team at all unless you're dumping Zimm.

Honestly if the Astros had Mancini they wouldn't have Reddick. If though they had both I can see it being a R/L platoon thing in which if it's a tough righty like the Nationals have 2 of Reddick gets the first cracks at it. 

17 minutes ago, Nite said:

Ok, but there is no chance the Washington Nationals wouldn't play Zimmerman. Simply wouldn't happen. So he has no role on their team at all unless you're dumping Zimm.

Honestly if the Astros had Mancini they wouldn't have Reddick. If though they had both I can see it being a R/L platoon thing in which if it's a tough righty like the Nationals have 2 of Reddick gets the first cracks at it. 

Sorry, I didn't know the criteria included playing a vastly inferior player for sentimental reasons.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sorry, I didn't know the criteria included playing a vastly inferior player for sentimental reasons.

It's the situation of they wouldn't have Zimmerman if they had Mancini. Since they are "stuck" with Zimmerman then there isn't a situation where they would have Mancini or at least have given him a fair chance to play. It is what it is. Mancini has no role on that team with Zimmerman there.

14 minutes ago, Nite said:

It's the situation of they wouldn't have Zimmerman if they had Mancini. Since they are "stuck" with Zimmerman then there isn't a situation where they would have Mancini or at least have given him a fair chance to play. It is what it is. Mancini has no role on that team with Zimmerman there.

??? What are you even saying? The reason they are stuck with Zimmerman is because of his contract. He's a not a terrible player, there's not a huge reason to replace him with an expensive 1st baseman. The question though has nothing to do with contracts. If the Nats had Mancini on their roster for whatever reason, they would 100% play him over Zimmerman.

1 hour ago, Nite said:

This is a hypothetical exercise about which Orioles would have a role on the Nats or Astros.  In my hypothetical answer I put the best players on the field. If you choose not to, and instead construct an alternate universe where the Nats play an oft-injured 35-year-old fan favorite with a .730 OPS over a guy nearly a decade younger with an .899, that's fine, too.