2019 #5 Prospect Austin Hays - CF

Tony-OH

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Keith Law doesn't think he can be a centerfielder. I would have said the same thing in July, but he looked good out there when he was called up. Hopefully this will end up as ammunition for the Law haters.

Tom
2:13
Does Austin Hays have a shot at being a decent everyday CF?

Keith Law
2:13
I don't think he has any shot at CF.

Law might want to go look up Hays defensive stat cast information. To say he has "no chance" at being a decent everyday means he didn't do his due diligence in looking at his burst speed, route and jumps as well as his sprint speed. If he did, he either he doesn't believe in those metrics or his personal metric for a "decent defensive CF" is pretty high.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Law might want to go look up Hays defensive stat cast information. To say he has "no chance" at being a decent everyday means he didn't do his due diligence in looking at his burst speed, route and jumps as well as his sprint speed. If he did, he either he doesn't believe in those metrics or his personal metric for a "decent defensive CF" is pretty high.

I agree, that's why I posted it, the eyeball test and the statcast both suggest otherwise. I hope someone asks him to follow up on this opinion in a future chat.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing he'll just ignore the question if someone start quoting Statcast at him.

Or insult the person, he likes to belittle those who disagree with him rather than contest the point. It's one thing if it's a troll, but he does that when presented with an evidence-based good faith argument as well. 

I liked what I saw of Hays in center.   My one criticism, detected by the eye test and confirmed by Statcast, is he doesn’t recognize the flight of the ball as quickly as some, so his first step can be a little slow or headed in the wrong direction.    But that’s the kind of flaw that than shrink with experience.    

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He's a guy I think will be FUN to watch play over a 162 game season. .  Mancini and VIllar and Alberto fit that bill last year, and Santander joined them midseason.

If we are going to lose, at least we need to have some guys who will be fun to watch.

Let's just hope he gets through the 162 games, with his playing style.