Sun: Meoli on the Pitching

weams

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the 2020 staff is going to look a lot like the 2019 staff, unfortunately.  We might have a few more of our own guys come up but no one worth getting really excited about.

I certainly expect to learn a bunch new names this year again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the 2020 staff is going to look a lot like the 2019 staff, unfortunately.  We might have a few more of our own guys come up but no one worth getting really excited about.

I could get excited about Akin, Kremer or Zimmermann, though I’m not sure the latter two will make it to the Show this year.   They are not at the tippy top of our prospect list, but they’ve all enjoyed a good bit of success in the minors.    I’m assuming Lowther, Wells and Baumann will be behind those three and not sniff the majors this year, though you never know.    At a minimum it will be interesting to see who at Norfolk makes a strong case for promotion.   

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I could get excited about Akin, Kremer or Zimmermann, though I’m not sure the latter two will make it to the Show this year.   They are not at the tippy top of our prospect list, but they’ve all enjoyed a good bit of success in the minors.    I’m assuming Lowther, Wells and Baumann will be behind those three and not sniff the majors this year, though you never know.    At a minimum it will be interesting to see who at Norfolk makes a strong case for promotion.   

I'd be mildly interested but those guys project to 3rd, 4th and 5th starters.  Maybe one steps up and delivers a Means-type of performance but I'm not getting hopes up.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be mildly interested but those guys project to 3rd, 4th and 5th starters.  Maybe one steps up and delivers a Means-type of performance but I'm not getting hopes up.

I get excited by third, fourth and fifth starters if they actually show they’re competent to perform those roles, keeping in mind that our starters posted a 5.57 ERA last year and averaged an astounding 4.87 IP per start.    Anybody who can last 5.1 innings and allow no more than 3 ER gets a gold star.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

I get excited by third, fourth and fifth starters if they actually show they’re competent to perform those roles, keeping in mind that our starters posted a 5.57 ERA last year and averaged an astounding 4.87 IP per start.    Anybody who can last 5.1 innings and allow no more than 3 ER gets a gold star.   

Yep, we're in agreement.  Although I think I've been conditioned to assume the worst with Orioles pitching until proven otherwise. 

Ian Gardeck is a guy I’ve tweeted about as an interesting MiLB FA, he’s fun.

He fought through three years of rehab to return to action after TJS and complications. 

He’s built kind of like a football player, he’s tatted up, and has a quality beard.

He throws 94-97 with a deceptive arm action and has a quality slider.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Ian Gardeck is a guy I’ve tweeted about as an interesting MiLB FA, he’s fun.

He fought through three years of rehab to return to action after TJS and complications. 

He’s built kind of like a football player, he’s tatted up, and has a quality beard.

He throws 94-97 with a deceptive arm action and has a quality slider.

Really interesting dude:

“I remember the night before my second Tommy John, I flew into Laguardia, took a cab right from Laguardia to MetLife to see Metallica the night before my surgery. I just did stuff like that where I normally wouldn’t. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/how-30-months-rehab-3-surgeries-became-blessing-giants-ian-gardeck

3 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Really interesting dude:

“I remember the night before my second Tommy John, I flew into Laguardia, took a cab right from Laguardia to MetLife to see Metallica the night before my surgery. I just did stuff like that where I normally wouldn’t. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/how-30-months-rehab-3-surgeries-became-blessing-giants-ian-gardeck

I'm not sure going to a Metallica concert makes someone interesting.

I guess Dave Mathews band wasn't in town?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure going to a Metallica concert makes someone interesting.

I guess Dave Mathews band wasn't in town?

Let me rephrase. An article about a really interesting dude. There's more in the article than just the Metallica reference.