New Start Times

weams

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I was thinking that 7:30 start time would actually be better for me.  As that way we could have dinner and traffic would have died down. I don't really see this 6:30 start time sticking. Maybe they are trying to drive down attendance.    

I don't know what the percentages are but I bet most of the fans who attend games don't live in the inner city area.  

A 7:30 start time means finishing up at 10:30 or later.  For me that means getting home after midnight.  I get up for work at 5:30 or 6:00.  I get grumpy with less than seven hours of sleep.

Plus, even if you're closer to Baltimore you're not bringing kids to a weeknight game that ends at 10:30pm.  You might occasionally if it's going to end at 9:00 or 9:30, and if it's a blowout you could sneak out a little earlier.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A 7:30 start time means finishing up at 10:30 or later.  For me that means getting home after midnight.  I get up for work at 5:30 or 6:00.  I get grumpy with less than seven hours of sleep.

Plus, even if you're closer to Baltimore you're not bringing kids to a weeknight game that ends at 10:30pm.  You might occasionally if it's going to end at 9:00 or 9:30, and if it's a blowout you could sneak out a little earlier.

Agreed. 6:35 games during the week are preferred for watching on TV as well. Most games will be over by 9:30 or 10 now. I like that.

7 hours ago, atomic said:

I was thinking that 7:30 start time would actually be better for me.  As that way we could have dinner and traffic would have died down. I don't really see this 6:30 start time sticking. Maybe they are trying to drive down attendance.    

I don't know what the percentages are but I bet most of the fans who attend games don't live in the inner city area.  

I'm thrilled about the early start....now I can see the end of the games!

7 hours ago, atomic said:

I assume the changes in game times resulted from that poll they sent to season ticket holders a couple of months ago.   No reason to change times unless they thought the majority of fans preferred it and it would help sell more tickets.    

For me, I just don't get it.  Every situation is going to be different, but in my community, the elementary school buses come through between 4-5 pm.  That means to make a 6:35 start time during the school year, parents will need to get off work early to be home to get their kids off the bus and get them to the start of the game right in the middle of rush hour traffic.  This also means that high school kids who play sports will be out of making games as well.  

This still works for me, as I have flexibility with work, and I am still planning on a 29 game package.  What I really hate are the 4 pm Saturday games, since I work a majority of Saturdays.  I usually ended up trading those games in, because I can't leave work much before 2:30-3 pm, and I like to get there for BP and be there for the entirety of things.  

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I assume the changes in game times resulted from that poll they sent to season ticket holders a couple of months ago.   No reason to change times unless they thought the majority of fans preferred it and it would help sell more tickets.    

It may have more to do with advertising revenue. The 6:30-7 time slot probably generates more money. I honestly don't think the new time slots will make a significant dent on attendance.