Roster moves in the next two days

wildcard

12 minutes ago, weams said:

Thank you, I had that somewhere in the back of my head, but it slipped my mind. There is no shortage of guys  Who could be cut in favor of up-and-coming guys: given where we are in the process, I would lean towards protecting more guys and designating more guys. 

56 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

What do we see in David Hess again?

Don't we have enough OF depth to let Smith Jr. go?

Wynns is cool and all, but there has to be a milb FA who is equal to him in depth.

Would Mullins go unclaimed if DFA'd?

Alot of our pitchers might be able to be passed through waivers as well: Kline, Phillips, Bleier?

So we are sure Davis won't be cut?

Could anyone be traded before rosters are set?

In my view:

Hess?  Is being converted to the pen.   He has a 3.00 ERA, 225 avg and a 1.08 WHIP in 24 IP at Norfolk.   He could be DFA'd if Elias finds someone better.  Has option.

Smith?  I think he could go in the next day or so but at any rate I don't think he makes it through the off season without being DFA'd. Has option

Wynns sounds like Elias wants to keep him for now.  If Elias finds someone better as you suggest he could go.  Has option.

Mullins probably tries to re-establish himself at AAA.   Depends on how he does has to how long he stays.  Could be a 4th OFer with the ability to back on CF/LF. Has option.

O's need good relievers.   Bleier has been good when healthy.   He was injured early last season but did better toward the end of the season.  I think he stays for now.  Doesn't have much trade value right now.  Has option.

Kline has a good arm, is cheap and I think he may start the year at AAA unless he does great in ST.   I don't think they give up in his arm yet. Has option

Phillips is on the bubble.  Has done what he need to do at AAA but hasn't had success with the O's.   Whether he stay depend on who either Elias brings on.  Has option.

Yes, Davis will not be cut.  Elias as expressed support for him in view of his contract.

I believe there is a low chance that the O's make a trade prior to setting the roster for the Rule 5 draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

We can’t subtract Wynns, can we?I thought Elias specifically said we need at least one additional catcher. Davis won’t go anywhere. No argument about the others.

We won’t get rid of Stewart but I wouldn’t mind. He looked completely clueless in the field.

I'm not particularly vouching for COC's entire list as it would differ from mine. I was just saying that Tate is the most important to keep from his list and Wilkerson is DFA fodder IMO. 

Davis is Davis, he's completely useless as a MLB player at this point but he will probably hang around because of the obvious reason. 

Wynns, yes Elias wants catching depth, but Wynns is utterly replaceable from a baseball talent standpoint. He's pretty equivalent to the standard waiver wire catcher.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm not particularly vouching for COC's entire list as it would differ from mine. I was just saying that Tate is the most important to keep from his list and Wilkerson is DFA fodder IMO. 

Davis is Davis, he's completely useless as a MLB player at this point but he will probably hang around because of the obvious reason. 

Wynns, yes Elias wants catching depth, but Wynns is utterly replaceable from a baseball talent standpoint. He's pretty equivalent to the standard waiver wire catcher.

You should totally vouch for my list, it's a fine list.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Phillips is on the bubble.  Has done what he need to do at AAA but hasn't had success with the O's.   Whether he stay depend on who either Elias brings on.  Has option.

Phillips has been awful. Hess has been spectacularly awful, but was briefly also not-awful. No reason to keep either.

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

I think you have it backwards.   He said  "Mountcastle.   Until then Stewart".

So I think he thinks Mountcastle is the eventual LF, but Stewart starts the season there while Mountcastle serves his time in purgatory.

Purgatory. Good one!

Fenter is a very interesting case.  If the choice were up to me, I would protect him from the Rule 5 Draft.  Million dollar bonus baby whom has gone through TJ surgery.  This past season showed why he so highly regarded coming out of high school. His "upside" is way higher than others currently on the 40-man roster.  Just my opinion...

We could see an active day today with other teams having to make tough decisions before this deadline.  We have international slot money available, use it and buy some team’s #22 prospect because they can’t protect them. Today is an easy day to pass through the bottom 5 of our 40 man through waivers. 

On a team that’s going to lose 100-110, we shouldn’t have journeyman middle relievers like Bleier, Hanhold, and Sulser taking up space. 

Baseball America has the top 5 organizations with the hardest 40 man decisions to be the Rays, Yankees, Padres, Indians, and Rangers. Would definitely agree now we be a good time to use some of that excess International slot money we haven't used to trade for some Rule V eligible players that another team doesn't have room to protect. 

from MLBTR:

There are tons of factors that go into these decisions, but roster space does still matter. Here are the number of open 40-man spots for each MLB team, as things stand this morning (per MLB.com’s roster pages):

10: Nationals

8: Cubs, Twins

7: Braves, Brewers, Tigers, White Sox

6: Astros, Red Sox

5: Mariners, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Orioles, Phillies, Reds

4: Rangers, Rockies, Yankees

3: Dodgers, Mets, Rays

2: Angels, Cardinals, Indians

1: Pirates

0: Athletics, Blue Jays, Padres, Giants, Royals

since then:

The Braves announced Tuesday that they’ve selected the contracts of outfielder Cristian Pache, catcher William Contreras, right-hander Jasseel De La Cruz and lefties Tucker Davidson and Phil Pfeifer.