Orioles Open to Trading Bundy - Per Rosenthal

wildbillhiccup

If I were the Orioles I'd give the White Sox a call. They just signed Grandal and Abreu and are being linked to Wheeler. It seems like they're ready to go all in. I'd also be perfectly fine with the team trading Bundy. 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Orioles are "open" to trading Dylan Bundy.

Bundy has posted a 5.13 ERA over the last two seasons and is due a raise in arbitration. However, it's possible another team thinks they could get more out of the former top prospect outside of Camden Yards. Bundy recently turned 27 and is under team control for two more seasons.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with trading him, but only if we get someone Elias considers to be a quality piece. I don't want to give him away. Someone's got to eat innings and there's always a chance he starts living up to his potential and is suddenly worth much more than he is now. I think Luke or someone said he's basically a bizarrely high HR/FB rate away from being a TOR starter. I'd rather risk overpaying a bit for him to eat innings for us then miss out on being able to deal him for much more if that HR/FB rate comes down

14 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'm fine with trading him, but only if we get someone Elias considers to be a quality piece. I don't want to give him away. Someone's got to eat innings and there's always a chance he starts living up to his potential and is suddenly worth much more than he is now. I think Luke or someone said he's basically a bizarrely high HR/FB rate away from being a TOR starter. I'd rather risk overpaying a bit for him to eat innings for us then miss out on being able to deal him for much more if that HR/FB rate comes down

Agree with needing an innings eater, but I just don't see his HR/FB rate getting better in the AL East. 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agree with needing an innings eater, but I just don't see his HR/FB rate getting better in the AL East. 

It already started getting better last year.

2018: 2.1 HR/9

1st half 2019: 2.0 HR/9

2nd half 2019: 1.1 HR/9

Now do I think he’ll yield 1.1 HR/9 or less in the future?    Not really.   But I think he may have learned how to keep the long balls within reason.  

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What does Bundy offer the 2022 team?  So yeah, we should probably listen to offers. 

That's a pretty good way to look at it. 

I think Bundy is actually more useful to the 2020 team than he is to the 2022 team. And that's not really a good enough reason to keep him if there's an offer out there.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's a pretty good way to look at it. 

I think Bundy is actually more useful to the 2020 team than he is to the 2022 team. And that's not really a good enough reason to keep him if there's an offer out there.

Bundy is a free agent after 2021.    

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really like Bundy a lot.    But I’d trade him in a nanosecond if the return was good.    

I would trade anybody if the return is good, the question is what would they offer? Also, it’s worthwhile asking whether we are more interested in guys who produce now or who will produce in two years?

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I would trade anybody if the return is good, the question is what would they offer? Also, it’s worthwhile asking whether we are more interested in guys who produce now or who will produce in two years?

I think we already know the answer to that one.   Its more important who produces in two years.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If I were the Orioles I'd give the White Sox a call. They just signed Grandal and Abreu and are being linked to Wheeler. It seems like they're ready to go all in. I'd also be perfectly fine with the team trading Bundy. 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Orioles are "open" to trading Dylan Bundy.

Bundy has posted a 5.13 ERA over the last two seasons and is due a raise in arbitration. However, it's possible another team thinks they could get more out of the former top prospect outside of Camden Yards. Bundy recently turned 27 and is under team control for two more seasons.

Of course they are. 

Hat tip to the Statcast podcast for this tidbit, but the Angels are another team in the same basic position as the White Sox, with the kicker they were just the first team in about a century to finish a season with ZERO pitchers with 20 Games Started.  Bundy is the "right kind" of player for the White Sox/Angels/Padres type team that needs the 162-value to make it to October, even if he might get left off the playoff roster of a super team.

• Upvote 1