Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One takeaway I have from these trades is that Elias thinks our next window is pretty far away.    The guys we are acquiring are mostly very far away from the majors.    

I don't see that from this trade.    The O's next contending rotation is probably Rodriguez, DL Hall, Means, Baumann and Kremer.   That is about two years away. 2022.

What this trade tells me is that Elias had no faith in Bundy improving his trade value by July. He sold low because he didn't think it would get better.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What did you really think a guy like Bundy was worth?  Why would anyone give a top flight prospect of any value for a pitcher like Bundy?

Switch places.  If you're working on a trade for Bundy and are the Angels GM, are you even considering giving up anyone in your top 10?  Top 15?  What's a career 4.67 career ERA (and climbing) worth, also taking into consideration that his fastball velocity is 92 on a good day?  Why would you give up significant value for him?  

You wouldn’t. I’d rather have kept him. That’s why it looks like a salary dump to me.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What did you really think a guy like Bundy was worth?  Why would anyone give a top flight prospect of any value for a pitcher like Bundy?

Switch places.  If you're working on a trade for Bundy and are the Angels GM, are you even considering giving up anyone in your top 10?  Top 15?  What's a career 4.67 career ERA (and climbing) worth, also taking into consideration that his fastball velocity is 92 on a good day?  Why would you give up significant value for him?  

I was hoping a team like the Angels would have given up someone around #15 and someone around #30.

And the reason is they have Trout.

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

Holy cow.

I have to digest this. So far my main reaction is that we traded for a guy that we could’ve gotten for free in the rule five draft.

If this guy has a future value of only 35, and he is the headliner, the other three guys are throw-ins, non-prospects, most probably. Which means we traded one of our only assets for a guy we could have picked up for free in the rule five draft. Unless I’m missing something pretty serious, that was bad logic.

am I missing something?

What is your basis for calling the 3 pitchers non-prospects?

Also in response to your Rule 5 analysis, would you have used the #2 pick on him? Would he be available in the second round at #2? Do you think he is worth keeping on the O’s roster the entire year?

I’m not sure what facts in this trade are upsetting you.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't see that from this trade.    The O's next contending rotation is probably Rodriguez, DL Hall, Means, Baumann and Kremer.   That is about two years away. 2022.

What this trade tells me is that Elias had no faith in Bundy improving his trade value by July. He sold low because he didn't think it would get better.

He was wise to sell now IMO. Bundy showed some improvement but he's probably a non tender next year so you might as well get something while you can. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, wildcard said:

I don’t know that he sold low.   We got some interesting pitchers here.   But I do hope Bundy thrives with the Angels.    Good guy, and I kind’ve like the Halos.    

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, gtown said:

That's not good.  I'm not a believer in quantity over quality, but this is a case of us having to trust in Elias... or not.    

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No according to Sports Illustrated.

They won the World Series in 2017, when SI predicted.

But I thought their 2015 playoff appearance was at least a year ahead of schedule.   It was two years removed from a 111 loss season and one year removed from a 92 loss season.