Do you like the Bundy trade?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Bundy trade?

• Yes - timing is good and not a bad return
    • No - not enough return to move him now
    • No - didn’t want to trade him, period
    • Meh - don’t hate it but had thought we could get more

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I intended to vote, but my answer is  I know nothing about the players we got, and if they are longshots as some have led me to believe, probably will not know for some years.  

You can get some scoop in the trade thread! there are tidbits of info and even some videos....Enjoy!

Let's see here... we got rid of a very replaceable and disappointing part, who's all but guaranteed to break again, for several kids who will need a miracle to have any major league future, while the owner(s) saved another $5M that will likely not be invested back into the organization.  Not exactly feeling the Orioles Magic.

Just now, Ripken said:

Let's see here... we got rid of a very replaceable and disappointing part, who's all but guaranteed to break again, for several kids who will need a miracle to have any major league future, while the owner(s) saved another $5M that will likely not be invested back into the organization.  Not exactly feeling the Orioles Magic.

Bundy has actually been pretty durable as a major leaguer.

5 minutes ago, Ripken said:

And I've been accused of being negative LOL

Seriously .... Mattson and Bradish both have really good resumes. And Mattson looks like he could be ready this season at some point

Yes.

Part of that is non-Orioles related, as this is good news for Dylan Bundy and Mike Trout.

I know Sig has his NCAA system (the money anecdote was him pounding the table for Paul Goldschmidt as a Cardinals analyst), and I imagine the club has specific reasons for liking each of these guys.

A soft factor is the timing.  I am not sure how involved MacPhail is still in Philadelphia, but Wheeler today - that's not a lot of percolating, and a lot of setting the market.  I believe Bundy had a market several teams deep that Elias could have played out and don't think he would have closed today unless the Angels at least somewhat hopped to a "Buy It Now" level to get Bundy done and conserve Cole cash. 

Obviously Yordan Alvarez is the dream scenario of a sharp organization acquiring someone good before everyone realizes how good they are because they knew first, and I have some hopes we're closer to being that team.  If even Luke grudges the wait 3-5 years perspective here, then yeah - let's just see what can be molded.

Everyone fits 2022 relevance.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

If the team would reinvest they money save on Bundy and Villar on major league players it wouldn’t be upsetting but as this is purely a salary dump and I feel there are more to come I can’t give it a positive.

The Marlins have already kind of indicated Villar is going to Mora-around and be a flex guy for them as they have Isan Diaz for 2B.

It isn't inconceivable to me we're in a universe where the 2020 Orioles could start Maikel Franco, Addison Russell and Jonathan Schoop in their IF for less cash than the Marlins utility guy.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

And I've been accused of being negative LOL

Seriously .... Mattson and Bradish both have really good resumes. And Mattson looks like he could be ready this season at some point

That was mostly tongue-in-cheek.  I know what's happening here and approve, despite not liking how Villar was handled.  The kids are all lottery tickets and Bundy needed to go.  I think Givens is next.  Mancini may stay the years but who knows.  I like the franchise building aspect of sports but it's still not a fun time.  I hope the winning gets here sooner rather than later.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• 800 OPS in slumps is pretty good. Look at Druw Jones or Elijah Green. I believe he’s making some minor adjustments.
    • You are stating that he has a 52nd percentile throwing arm and that his throws are accurate.  Then stating he does not have a good arm?  Those are conflicting statements.  I'm seeing a 91 percentile for arm value, per Baseball Savant.  Moreover, he does not run like an old man.  A statement like that should be reserved for bottom tier percentile runners, not average or slightly below average ones.    I think his defense could continue to improve, yes.  He's only 25.  You are talking as if he's a guy in his early 30s, who is about to hit a cliff.  In Yankee stadium, he should be able to play adequate defense in RF for quite some time. 
    • Agree that Ottavino would be a good target. He’s somewhat similar to Cano in that he’s a lot better against RHB’s, but he’d still be a good add. I would still hope for an even better reliever (either in addition to him or instead of him if they’re only adding one piece) but he would definitely strengthen the BP.
    • That's why I said I don't think it's his top priority. But I do think he thinks about these scenarios. 
    • Yeah. If it were just Mayo for Skubal for 2+ years, you'd have to consider it
    • Not saying I disagree. It would be hard trade to make due to Skubal injury history.
    • I still need to write about Bill this morning. I saw the Celtics are going to the NBA Finals and thats one of the teams Bill played on. Bill played only two seasons with the Celtics in Boston, but was the sixth man for the 1985-86 championship team that is considered by many to be the greatest team in NBA history. Bill was great friends with Larry Bird,Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson and his all time favorite player, on and off the court was Bill Russell. Most people don't know it, but his entire life, Bill dreamed of being a Laker. Jerry West, a man I deeply respect in all aspect of the game, turned down Bill's request for a tryout, and Bill was hurt, and Bill never forgot the rejection. Bill was a rare mix of irreverent and traditional old school at the same time. He cared little for personal honors, preferring excellence in pursuit of perfection. But like all of us, HE was imperfect, and perfection is impossible in life because all of us are mortal. Still, I'd like to see the NBA come up with some sort of permanent honor commemorating Bill. It can 't be an honor that represents Bill's deep commitment to his citizenship, because theres already one, it's called the Walter Kennedy Award. Bill Russell has his name on the NBA MVP Award for the Finals, so theres another one not available for Bill. Still, I'd like to see Bill be honored in an award named after him for something that is not easy to quantify. Joy and love for the game. The player who most exemplifies love and joy, for the sport and for life itself. I don't know how you could even award something like that, but maybe the NBA could poll fans or coaches . Of course, Bill would scoff at some award in his name. He turned me down as an honoree for my charity(now in its 30th year) for many years because he never felt "worthy". And then finally he accepted the award ONLY if he could give the handsome honorarium to a wounded veteran so the vet could help buy a van outfitted for disabled people. What a human being Bill was. The NBA should try and remember him somehow, but it's likely they wont, not with a permanent honor. Because Bill was and will always be hard to quantify with any one award. So whether they do or don't remember Bill, is not really the point I guess. The fact is Bill will be remembered by millions as an original, a joyful soul, who lived every aspect of his life with wonder, passion, and that unquantifiable quality..joy. I have a painting Bill signed for me, that he only posed for if it included John Wooden in the painting. It's a dual painting of Bill and his coach. I see it on my wall now. The inscription says this: "To Roy, thanks for life. Beyond here, lies nothing". That's SOOOO Bill. And so I say today, Bill, thank YOU for (your) LIFE. Beyond here, lies your memory of everything you represented...and it's not nothing. Bill attended close to 1,000 Grateful Dead concerts in his life. He actually played congas on stage with the band several times including one concert at the Pyramid's in Egypt. Last night I found a lyric to a famous "Dead" song, and I want to end this post with those lyrics. Here's what he quoted from that song. "Thank you, and some other things to remember, because there’s a lot going on, We used to play for silver, now we play for life, Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right, I used to be a lost sailor, away too long at sea, now, I’m a tiger in a trance, a saint of circumstance, I sure don’t know what I’m going for, but I’m going to go for it for sure, there’s no time to lose, The first days are the hardest days, don’t worry about it, when life looks like easy street, there’s danger at your door, what I want to know is—are you kind, and will you come with me, it all rolls into one, but nothing comes for free, it’s all about the rhythm, good luck, shine on, thank you, BW.   --------------------------------------------------------------- WOW. Exactly.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now