Mount Sportsmore

NJOriolesFan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Baltimore, IMO, it has to be Palmer.

His time with this team is crazy when you consider his playing and broadcasting time.

Plus, he was great.

I agree with Palmer because his entire career was here. Palmer, played for a great number of years, yet his career spans every Orioles World Series appearance. That is remarkable, especially considering they had 6 World Series appearances that spanned 17 years. Then his announcing. His greatness is above Ray Lewis, IMO. I also am biased, as I am an Oriole fan but not so much a Ravens or Colts fan.

Detroit has to have AL KALINE

Agreed. I also think that Minnesota should probably have Kirby Puckett (oops, somebody beat me).

And Earl Monroe never played in DC. Wes Unseld would be the Washington Bullet, most likely.

As an older sports fan, I think Gus Johnson should be included for Baltimore.

Boston: Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Bobby Orr, Ted Williams

(Carl Yastrzemski, Ray Borque, Bob Cousy and John Havlicek were considered)

Honestly, I think if you ask most Bostonians now, Tom Brady and/or David Ortiz are on that list in lieu of Russell and/or Orr.

Agreed. I also think that Minnesota should probably have Kirby Puckett (oops, somebody beat me).

And Earl Monroe never played in DC. Wes Unseld would be the Washington Bullet, most likely.

You are right, I guess I was just think Bullets and D.C. came to mind. I don't think Gus Johnson beats out Palmer or Lewis.

So, would you go with Wes Unseld or Joe Gibbs or John Thompson or Morgan Wootten or other.

A while back I read an article on Baltimore sports legends and Gus Johnson was the only basketball player on the list. I kind of discounted the whole list though as I remember Palmer didn't make the cut.

Honestly, I think if you ask most Bostonians now, Tom Brady and/or David Ortiz are on that list in lieu of Russell and/or Orr.

Same argument that you get nowadays when they ask people who the most influencial female rock star ever is and they say Courtney Love/Hole. I mean come on, history didn't just start yesterday.

I actually thought about Brady ahead of Russell or Orr and simply couldn't do it. Back when I was a kid, Yaz was the biggest thing in New England and I considered him too.

I wanted this to span all eras.

This is ridiculous.

Ray and Palmer are running neck and neck but Palmer was here for 3 WS titles and has given over 30 years to this city and organization.

SG, don't be ridiculous. What's the point of putting up Palmer? There is no way a sculpter could possible do justice to his hair.

Puckett is a great one that I forgot when I was writing the list. As a Viking fan, I can't take Tarkenton or Page off the list. Page was to the Vikings and defensive players in the NFL what Ray Lewis is to the Ravens and the NFL, with the exception that Page is on the other side of the law than Lewis was.

I would take Santana off for Puckett. I had Killebrew before I changed it to Santana.

This is a great debate. I think the 4th should be Ray Lewis, even though I'm not a Ravens fan.

He's got some baggage, but so what? That stuffs pretty much swept under the rug anyway...it's not like he committed the crime. People think he's a murderer or something but he's not. . . . .

It's Ray-Ray. He is the most important player in Ravens history and put Baltimore back on the map as a great football town. He means so much to the city... It may be getting old, but I have never experienced anything at a sporting even that compares to a Ray-Ray introduction before a playoff game in Baltimore.

I'm all for balance - there are already two Orioles on there.

I do love Palmer though and he has been around the Orioles for over 30 yrs now. He is a close second.

I'm not sure many other cities compare in how much these individuals meant to their hometowns. Johnny U, Brooks, Cal, and now Ray. All are pretty much worshipped around these parts. Working class players for a tradionally blue collar city. Pretty awesome stuff...

Like the other poster said - maybe only Pittsburgh compares.

You are right, I guess I was just think Bullets and D.C. came to mind. I don't think Gus Johnson beats out Palmer or Lewis.

So, would you go with Wes Unseld or Joe Gibbs or John Thompson or Morgan Wootten or other.

I'd go with Unseld, but a lot of fans now remember him as a failed coach. Picking Thompson would drive the Terp fans down there insane. Gibbs would probably be a safe choice;for the nostalgic old timers Jurgensen or Frank Howard would be a sentimental choice.

Gus Johnson was Dr. J before Dr. J. I saw him shatter a backboard once, not that that means anything. Unfortunately, the Baltimore Bullets are practically forgotten.

Archived