Adam Jones signs 2-year deal with Orix Buffaloes

MurphDogg

He can reach out to his trade partner, Dennis Sarfate, who made a successful jump to NPB. He made a couple million a year over there and was wise to embrace the culture and build a business/brand around himself. Not a massive opportunity but better than AAA back here. You’re treated very well. Many players who go over don’t see this opportunity. (I lived in japan for a couple years and worked with many ex mlb guys)

I’ve said this before, and I get why it would be nearly impossible, but it would be so cool if MLB added an Asian division...

Four teams, two from Japan, two from Korea. 

I’d also love to see a team in Puerto Rico and Mexico. I feel like it could inject a lot of new fans, storylines, and rivalries into MLB. 

Oh, and good for Jones. I always wish him the very best. 

20 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Good for Adam.  Japan is a lovely country and he's clearly no longer a major league caliber player. 

Let's get one thing straight here, his stats are clearly major league caliber. And you can site his WAR as being negative if you want.  Offensively he hit better than a lot of players in the league.

It's the current economics of baseball that are forcing him (and others) to Japan.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Let's get one thing straight here, his stats are clearly major league caliber. And you can site his WAR as being negative if you want.  Offensively he hit better than a lot of players in the league.

It's the current economics of baseball that are forcing him (and others) to Japan.

He just posted a 87 wRC+ playing at a position that averages a 107. He's 20 percent below league average offensively at his position and can no longer defend. Why would a major league team pay any money for that when they can just promote a random minor leaguer making the minimum?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

He just posted a 87 wRC+ playing at a position that averages a 107. He's 20 percent below league average offensively at his position and can no longer defend. Why would a major league team pay any money for that when they can just promote a random minor leaguer making the minimum?

Two reasons: (1) teams could feel that Adam just had an off year and at 34 has a reasonable chance of bouncing back and some upside, (2) “random minor leaguers” fairly often fail miserably.    Replacement level is a hypothetical construct and many players fall far short of it.    

Now, with all that said, I do think a lot of teams would rather take a chance on a younger guy than on Adam.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Two reasons: (1) teams could feel that Adam just had an off year and at 34 has a reasonable chance of bouncing back and some upside, (2) “random minor leaguers” fairly often fail miserably.    Replacement level is a hypothetical construct and many players fall far short of it.    

Now, with all that said, I do think a lot of teams would rather take a chance on a younger guy than on Adam.    

Sure, but it's 2 replacement level years in a row and he's another year older. I don't think any team competitive enough to be overly concerned about random minor leaguers failing would be spending real money to bring in Adam as a fallback option to ensure replacement level production. I don't think any team is interested in him as plan A. Every team has a DJ Stewart they would rather run out there rather than paying Adam Jones a couple million.

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Sure, but it's 2 replacement level years in a row and he's another year older. I don't think any team competitive enough to be overly concerned about random minor leaguers failing would be spending real money to bring in Adam as a fallback option to ensure replacement level production. I don't think any team is interested in him as plan A. Every team has a DJ Stewart they would rather run out there rather than paying Adam Jones a couple million.

I guess time will tell.   I think you are probably right, partially depending on how cheap a contract Adam would accept.    He’s taken quite a fall the last couple of years.