Adam Jones signs 2-year deal with Orix Buffaloes

MurphDogg

MLBPA is only players on the 40 man. So only the interests of players who make the majors have a say at the table. The biggest backers are the vets who have the $$$.

Both sides can probably see the over-paid contracts by FA are a result of underpaying younger players. The MLBPA never cared when they were getting these big contacts. Now that GMs have wised up the fact FA is a poor investment. The MLBPA cares because they are losing their share of revenue with the flawed system.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jarman86 said:

I did not know this.  I thought it was 6 year entry contract and 6 years of team control.  Either way, 9 still puts you right at the prime where a team is paying you scraps. 

No I was a way of free agents contracts to be given to guys past their prime.  Let guys become free agents earlier would solve the issue and having less time in the minors would keep them from playing with service time.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

No I was a way of free agents contracts to be given to guys past their prime.  Let guys become free agents earlier would solve the issue and having less time in the minors would keep them from playing with service time.

What is stopping the Orioles from just keeping Mountcastle in AAA for all of 2020?  

Teams not in contention will just load up the high minors with ML ready players.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is stopping the Orioles from just keeping Mountcastle in AAA for all of 2020?  

Teams not in contention will just load up the high minors with ML ready players.

I was saying they could change it to 3 years in the minors max.  If you dont' get to the majors by then you are a free agent.  

Someone like Mountcastle should force this nonsense to end by signing a one year deal in Japan.  Or the minor league players should start their own union. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was saying they could change it to 3 years in the minors max.  If you dont' get to the majors by then you are a free agent.  

Someone like Mountcastle should force this nonsense to end by signing a one year deal in Japan.  Or the minor league players should start their own union. 

Why would anyone draft a HS player if they know they won't have control over them past three years in the minors?  You'd have to be a fool.

Also no NPB team would ever dream of signing someone that already has a contract with a ML team.

As for the minor leaguers forming a union?  Who is going to pay their bills while they strike?  I think the ML owners would be more than happy to shut down minor league baseball for a year or two.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. If he has a bad spring training, he needs more seasoning. If he has a good spring, he has to learn to play a new position, LF\2B. He needs to prove that IL player of the year was not a fluke. Do it again! ?

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would anyone draft a HS player if they know they won't have control over them past three years in the minors?  You'd have to be a fool.

Also no NPB team would ever dream of signing someone that already has a contract with a ML team.

As for the minor leaguers forming a union?  Who is going to pay their bills while they strike?  I think the ML owners would be more than happy to shut down minor league baseball for a year or two.

How do minor league contracts work before you are a free agent?  Do you sign an indentured servant deal? I was under the impression it was year to year thing but you couldn't sign with any other MLB team until you qualified for minor league free agency..  I mean they can cut you after a year if they want.  

So this 19 year old signed in Japan and if he is a success can come back to MLB at 25 as a free agent:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/05/23/mlb-draft-scott-boras-carter-stewart-japan/1203871001/

Seems to make sense. If he was going to be in the minors a minimum of 3 years plus then he would have 3 years of pay at the league minimum.   

As opposed to that he makes $6 million and is a free agent at a young age.

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

So this 19 year old signed in Japan and if he is a success can come back to MLB at 25 as a free agent:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/05/23/mlb-draft-scott-boras-carter-stewart-japan/1203871001/

Seems to make sense. If he was going to be in the minors a minimum of 3 years plus then he would have 3 years of pay at the league minimum.   

As opposed to that he makes $6 million and is a free agent at a young age.

Sure, but Mountcastle can't do that.  Not many kids at all can do that.  NPB can't absorb that many.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Adding slots to the draft and the international pool allowances have been to the benefit of the owners, not the younger players.  As is the elimination of major league contracts for draftees.

I'm in agreement, sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.  I was saying that they used to have unlimited negotiating room and now don't.

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

How do minor league contracts work before you are a free agent?  Do you sign an indentured servant deal? I was under the impression it was year to year thing but you couldn't sign with any other MLB team until you qualified for minor league free agency..  I mean they can cut you after a year if they want.  

its a 6 year deal, shortened if they are on 40 man, etc... Tim Beckham would be one example of this as, while he has been a free agent, it has been more because he has been non-tendered.  Beckham still has one year of arbitration before becoming a free agent officially.  He was drafted and signed in 2008.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Eliminate the draft and make every amateur player, both domestic and international, a free agent.  Cap the number of players any team can sign during a given year.  That would help the younger players.  Ain''t gonna happen though.

And get rid of the MLBPA.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

If here is no draft and everyone is a free agent you don't need a Union.

I guess you haven’t heard of MLB’s antitrust exemption and how things worked in baseball before there was a union.     It’s ludicrous to think a union isn’t needed to protect the players’ interests.   

• Thanks 3