What is Frederick going to do with 21 pitchers?

wildcard

Frederick Keys

Adam Hall SS

Robert Neustrom RF

Cadyn Grenier  SS

John Rizer OF

Reyes  3B

Escarra 1B

Dorrian 3B

Fajardo C

Thorburn LF

Carrillo  C

Starters (11)

Rodriguez

Fenter

Wilson

Vespi

Rom

Knight

Peralta

Bishop

Hanifee

Lebron

Bradish

Relievers (10)

Guance 

Hammond

Joyner

Matson

Bautista

Eshevarria

Naughton

Almengo

Dietz

Hayes

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Frederick Keys ....

Here are the minor league roster limitation rules for all Major League Baseball-affiliated minor league teams:
Triple-A and Double-A teams are limited to 25-man rosters.
Class A-Advanced and Class A teams are limited to 35 players under control with additional limitations in regard to prior minor league experience.
Teams at lower levels have 35-man active rosters with limitations on minor league service time.
===========================================================================
Given these roster size limitations, players were left unprotected for the Minor League portion of the Rule 5 draft.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Some of the starters are relievers and some of the relievers get released.  Good chance Vespi and Wilson are in the pen. Peralta, also.  Bishop and Hanifee could get promoted to Bowies bullpen.   Hanifee could return to Fredericks rotation but I don't think Bishop does.

I don't think Vespi and Wilson are going to the pen.  Both were effective left handed starters last year  after being converted by the new regime.  Why would they put them back in the bullpen, where they were in 2018 after having great years (and being more valuable) as starters in 2019?  I agree that there's a glut of pitchers (especially starters) here, but that's a good kind of problem to have.

If I had to guess, I would say they'll go with a six-man rotation of Rodriguez, Wilson, Fenter, Vespi, Rom, and Ofelky.  Not sure what happens to Knight and Bishop, who had subpar seasons at Frederick last year (especially Knight).  

I do think that the Orioles will be doing a lot of piggybacking of  pitchers at Delmarva, Frederick and Bowie in 2020.  There will be two pitchers scheduled most games going between three and six innings. 

This is what the Astros do in the minors and now with all the pitchers that the Orioles acquired, I assume Holt will look to piggyback pitchers as well.  The Orioles also drafted a number of late round college pitchers in 2019, and hopefully a few of them will emerge.  

• Upvote 1