The team I will be watching in 2020

wildcard

I enjoyed the OP.    I could pick nits, and argue about the exact projected debut of this guy or that, but overall the OP points up that there are a lot of interesting players to follow in our system and it will be interesting to watch them progress and hopefully reach the majors and contribute there.    

My one big question for @wildcard is why he thinks Grayson Rodriguez will leapfrog DL Hall and make this major league debut ahead of Hall, who currently is playing a level above Rodriguez.    I assume it’s because Hall may need more time to polish his command.     Overall, I do think that’s an issue that could slow Hall down, but I’d still say the odds favor Hall reaching the majors first.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I enjoyed the OP.    I could pick nits, and argue about the exact projected debut of this guy or that, but overall the OP points up that there are a lot of interesting players to follow in our system and it will be interesting to watch them progress and hopefully reach the majors and contribute there.    

My one big question for @wildcard is why he thinks Grayson Rodriguez will leapfrog DL Hall and make this major league debut ahead of Hall, who currently is playing a level above Rodriguez.    I assume it’s because Hall may need more time to polish his command.     Overall, I do think that’s an issue that could slow Hall down, but I’d still say the odds favor Hall reaching the majors first.   

I enjoyed it too. If my posts came across as critical toward @wildcard or his posts, that's not what I intended at all. 

I like having threads to discuss. 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A couple things, you actually think they are going to play service time games with folks like Kremer and Baumann?  Or do you have another reason for predicting a month into the season?

What makes you think "Adley Rutschten" is capable of calling games at the ML level?

From the past number of wildcard posts, it looks like he has gone all-in with voice-to-text.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what your definition of a star is, but there’s a guy we produced who has 2,355 hits and counting who’s not on your list.   Also a guy who’s on the Hall of Fame ballot this year.   A guy who had one of the best seasons for a closer ever.    Off the top of my head.   

So Markakis and Britton? No argument .... Its still a pretty short list for 36 or so years.

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

SPDD - Same Post, Different Day

It’s December. What else is there to talk about?

it is indeed a bit early to make assumptions, but predicting who, when and where is fun and who knows, someone might be right.

all the stuff I said about service time and such doesn’t apply to Rutchmann. Keep him down until the team is ready for him. Everybody else, bring ‘em up soon as possible. Lots of decision-making needs to be done, and the Chaff on the 40-man needs to be winnowed to make room for the grain.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

it is indeed a bit early to make assumptions, but predicting who, when and where is fun and who knows, someone might be right.

all the stuff I said about service time and such doesn’t apply to Rutchmann. Keep him down until the team is ready for him. Everybody else, bring ‘em up soon as possible. Lots of decision-making needs to be done, and the Chaff on the 40-man needs to be winnowed to make room for the grain.

I just like to give wildcard a hard time. Doesn't seem to bother him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Your post assumes a whole lot of straight line progression and no changes or surprises. I doubt that's ever happened with any organization.

There's a good chance Mancini and Means are dealt for prospects soon between now and July. 

Your conclusion about Mountcastle is based on other players. I disagree with that. Mountcastle will play at the most valuable position that he can play well, meaning a left fielder is more valuable than a first baseman. In other words, the O's won't say....well, even though Mountcastle is a better overall player as a left fielder than Santander, since we already have Santander there, we have to find an open spot for Mountcastle. 

I think they'll do the opposite. Mountcastle will play at the most valuable position he's able to play and the other guy will move. 

Richie Martin's destination will depend on whether the O's bring in someone between now and opening day who is better able to handle short. I happen to like Martin but I doubt anyone views him as a long term fixture. He's patching an obvious hole until someone else provides a better patch. And I don't see any circumstance where he would be held back in AAA in '21 to manipulate service time. He's not the profile for that in any way. 

And I believe in Diaz but he's anything but a sure thing and most definitely not a sure thing within the next year. 

As an example, 365 days ago, would you have made the same predictions about Martin, Santander, Diaz, Means, et al, that you do today? Things change. For better and for worse. 

Excellent post, I disagree very slightly on a couple of things, however.

I agree that John Means is a trade asset, but he won’t be traded yet because his value is not yet high enough, Plus at the moment he is a reliable minimum wage pitcher. Next June is far more likely, because by then better arms will be available behind him and his value will be higher.

Mike has said that he’s looking for a veteran short stop, But  I don’t think that necessarily means that Martin is destined for AAA. I think Martin and Wilkerson will be competing for the same spot, and It will go to whomever has the most upside.

Mountcastle will play wherever his defense does the least amount of damage. I don’t know what position that will be, but that’s where you’ll see him.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

This reminded me of an "Edna Ferber?" poem I had to memorize in Elementary school:

"Roll roll you creaking high wheeled wagons 

Roll across these furrows where my strength was shed

This field of corn-knees is a written scroll to show that we have toiled for our daily bread"

These players mentioned by @wildcard and referred to by others must definitely all shed some sweat and "burn the midnight oil" going over the analytics to reach the heights we seek.  I am loving all of the give and take here by all of you "savants" above.  This hot stove brings me much delight!  Carry on!  ⚾

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A couple things, you actually think they are going to play service time games with folks like Kremer and Baumann?  Or do you have another reason for predicting a month into the season?

What makes you think "Adley Rutschten" is capable of calling games at the ML level?

You mean this guy?  ?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Correct.   From where we are right now I would say DL Hall needs to pitch full seasons at AA and AAA with command being the issue.  Rodriguez right now looks like the could develop with a half season at each level.    

But who knows.   I would not bet my house either way.