Paul is bored

wildcard

https://www.camdenchat.com/2020/1/3/21047027/orioles-news-links

I think the O's have a good amount to do yet.

Sign a SS.

Add a starter.

Add a 4th catcher to AAA

Add a major league ready starter that will pitch at Bowie.    A 4A type.  The AAA rotation is full but he O's need more starting pitching depth that will be on the shuttle to Bowie/ Camden Yards.   Right now the Bowie rotation appears to be DL Hall, Sedlock and Shepherd.

Add a first baseman to the Norfolk roster to take over when Mountcastle is promoted.

If Elias can get those things done the Its time for Spring Training.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sign a SS.

Add a starter.

Add a 4th catcher to AAA

Add a major league ready starter that will pitch at Bowie.    A 4A type.  The AAA rotation is full but he O's need more starting pitching depth that will be on the shuttle to Bowie/ Camden Yards.   Right now the Bowie rotation appears to be DL Hall, Sedlock and Shepherd.

Add a first baseman to the Norfolk roster to take over when Mountcastle is promoted.

Bradish might start in Bowie, right?

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's have a good amount to do yet. -

Sign a SS. - Hechavarria on a milb deal

Add a starter. - Whichever SP is desperate enough in Feb to sign a milb deal with us.

Add a 4th catcher to AAA - Don't we have the usual cast of characters like Carlos Perez or Martin Cervenka?  

Add a major league ready starter that will pitch at Bowie.    A 4A type.  The AAA rotation is full but he O's need more starting pitching depth that will be on the shuttle to Bowie/ Camden Yards.   Right now the Bowie rotation appears to be DL Hall, Sedlock and Shepherd.  Tom Eshelman

Not trying to be negative, I just think we're at the point in the rebuild where things aren't going to be so glamorous.  It's going to be real hard for us to attract any type of SP that still has hopes of pitching in the MLB from the open market.  The juiced ball + OPACY + AL EAST = not many options.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not trying to be negative, I just think we're at the point in the rebuild where things aren't going to be so glamorous.  It's going to be real hard for us to attract any type of SP that still has hopes of pitching in the MLB from the open market.  The juiced ball + OPACY + AL EAST = not many options.

I think Elias will acquire a starter much like he did with Wojo.    He purchased him.    

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sign a SS.

Add a starter.

Add a 4th catcher to AAA

These should all be on Pail's bucket list :)

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wonder if any KBO or other pitchers are interested/able to make the jump back here?

Miles Mikolas comes to mind.   Pitched sporadically in the majors at ages 23-25, went to Japan and excelled at ages 26-28, then signed a 2-year, $15.5 mm deal with the Cardinals that was extended after his very good 2018 season for another 4 years, $68 mm.    The KBO is a step down from Japan though.    

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Miles Mikolas comes to mind.   Pitched sporadically in the majors at ages 23-25, went to Japan and excelled at ages 26-28, then signed a 2-year, $15.5 mm deal with the Cardinals that was extended after his very good 2018 season for another 4 years, $68 mm.    The KBO is a step down from Japan though.    

I think sometimes the change of scenery and something clicks, maybe the player listens to the new coach, or the new coach spots something.

Arrietta was 27, when he went to the cubs, and things clicked, and he excelled.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, that’s exactly who I was thinking of, he went away for a couple of years and, worked on something, I guess, and came back and signed a good contract with a reasonable team and he earned his money, although I don’t remember how long, how much or for whom. Anyway, I figured if he can, maybe some other guys can as well.

Edit. I had not completely read your post when I made my comment, and you answered the question of how long how much and for whom…

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sign a SS.

Add a starter.

Add a 4th catcher to AAA

As to the thread title (I assume you meant “Paul,” not “Pail”), these types of remaining activities are frankly not very interesting to most fans.     I’m sure we’ll have another 10 page thread when we sign a fourth catcher, but at the end of the day, that’s not a very interesting topic.    We’ll only discuss it because there’s nothing better to discuss.    Which is Paul’s point, really.     I’m not expecting a lot of exciting news between now and when pitchers and catchers report.    

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pierce Johnson is an example. High draft pick by the Cubs, couldn't quite reach success in the majors, went to Japan and now signed with the Padres.

Despite being selected by the Cubs with the No. 43 overall pick in 2012 and at one point ranking among the game’s top 100 prospects, Johnson pitched only a single MLB inning with the organization in 2017. He was booted from the 40-man roster in December and landed with the Giants on a waiver claim. He’d go on to pitch 43 2/3 innings with San Francisco the following year in 2018, although the results weren’t pretty. Johnson logged a 5.56 ERA with 7.4 K/9, 4.5 BB/9, 1.03 HR/9 and a 37.8 percent ground-ball rate out of the Giants’ bullpen in his lone season with the organization.

That limited sample represents the entirety of Johnson’s body of work in the big leagues, but he’ll become the latest in an increasing number of players to find success in either Japan or Korea and parlay that overseas breakout into a big league contract. This offseason, we’ve seen Johnson, Josh Lindblom and Joely Rodriguez cash in on multi-year contracts, just as Merrill Kelly, Miles Mikolas, Eric Thames and (several years prior) Colby Lewis did.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/padres-sign-pierce-johnson.html

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sign a SS.

Add a starter.

Add a 4th catcher to AAA

Yes...or not.  Either way, winning 55 games doesn’t require a whole lot of preparation.  I can see why Pail is bored. So am I.