Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

On 2/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, Frobby said:

Has there ever been a suggestion that Mike Bordick used steroids?    I haven’t heard that before.   

On the one hand, I think most of the specific players Canseco called out for using steroids ultimately admitted it after vehemently denying it at first, or later tested positive for steroids.     And on the other hand, I think 85% is a number he pulled out of his ass and would have no real way of knowing.    

I assumed he did.  From the time he turned pro through age 32 he hit 49 homers in 13 seasons.  Or less than four a year.  From '99-00 he hit 30, including 20 in one season.  His three highest doubles totals were from 32 to 34.  Those years were peak PED years prior to testing.

I guess that could have been a coincidence or hard work.  But it wasn't OPACY park effects, in both '99 and '00 he hit more homers on the road.

MASN

The Houston sign-stealing scandal was perpetrated by a front office well known for using analytics more than any other organization in the sport. Clark views this is as merely one example of clubs prioritizing analytics at the expense of the humans who play the game.

The union sees this issue showing up in areas such as the manipulation of players’ big league service time, placement on the injured list and a style of play on the field that sometimes goes against players’ wishes. Clark lumps all of these things together in what he describes as a “club culture” that overemphasizes metrics and the desire to be efficient above all else.

“This culture that exists against the backdrop of technology is manifesting itself in a way where you’ve heard me over the last few years say we need to have a conversation about what our game is and what it looks like,”

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2020/02/union-chief-addresses-players-vitriol-toward-astros.html

On 2/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I can see where Papi would value discretion.

You're not suggesting that leading the league in doubles, RBI, slugging and OPS at the age of 40 is unusual, are you?  If anybody was going to age better than Mays, Aaron, Williams, Ruth, and Cobb it would be the guy released by the Twins.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You're not suggesting that leading the league in doubles, RBI, slugging and OPS at the age of 40 is unusual, are you?  If anybody was going to age better than Mays, Aaron, Williams, Ruth, and Cobb it would be the guy released by the Twins.

I didn't even think about that.  I was talking about cheating on your spouse with the GF of a drug dealer.