Hunter Harvey 2020

Frobby

Figure we might as well start one of these omnibus player threads for this year.   I’m sure we’ll have some articles to post soon enough.    Fangraphs ranked Harvey our no. 20 prospect today, and graded him as follows (both present and future in all cases): FB 60, CB 55, CH 45, Command 40.

Reading the board, I think a lot of posters are higher on Harvey than I am.   Yes, if healthy, I think he’s a back-end reliever.   But that 40 command score limits him IMO.    I think he’s going to be a guy who looks unhittable some of the time, but also has days where he gets himself in trouble with walks and falling behind hitters.    Will he be as good or better than the 2016-18 version of Givens?   I’m not sure yet.    And of course, I still worry about his durability.   That said, if his command improves a smidge, he really could be top closer material.    

What do you think we’ll see from Harvey this year?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Figure we might as well start one of these omnibus player threads for this year.   I’m sure we’ll have some articles to post soon enough.    Fangraphs ranked Harvey our no. 20 prospect today, and graded him as follows (both present and future in all cases): FB 60, CB 55, CH 45, Command 40.

Reading the board, I think a lot of posters are higher on Harvey than I am.   Yes, if healthy, I think he’s a back-end reliever.   But that 40 command score limits him IMO.    I think he’s going to be a guy who looks unhittable some of the time, but also has days where he gets himself in trouble with walks and falling behind hitters.    Will he be as good or better than the 2016-18 version of Givens?   I’m not sure yet.    And of course, I still worry about his durability.   That said, if his command improves a smidge, he really could be top closer material.    

What do you think we’ll see from Harvey this year?

More than we get from Scott, Castro, Bleier, Armstrong, and Givens...among others.

that was mildly flippant, but I do believe it. I’m in the “Harvey = Closer” camp. If he stays healthy, which may God Grant.

And in his SSS last season, I didn’t see any reason to doubt his command. He was blazing.

Edited by Philip
Addendum
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

What do I expect.  Not a full season.

As far as command. We are talking about a 23? year old with the experience of a 20 year old. I don't expect him to be THE closer because I still think they are going to be cautious with his usage, particularly on back to back appearances.   

You are expecting many back to back save opportunities for this team?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That might be hard to figure out!    But I can tell you this:

1.   No Orioles pitcher saved back to back games last year.

2.   On March 30 - April 2 (games 2-5), the O’s had four consecutive saves, but from four different pitchers (Wright, Fry, Bleier, Castro).

3.  On August 3-4, the Orioles had consecutive saves from two different pitchers (Fry, Armstrong).

4.   That’s all the back to back saves the Orioles had last year.    

5.    Givens never had back to back save opportunities last year.

Parade, meet Rain...

• Thanks 1

When I think of Harvey I think that a middle ground comp for him to end up being is Aaron Crow.  Solid middle reliever, bouts of high walk rates that will drive you crazy, but overall dependable, hopefully with a longer career.  Best case scenario is Andrew Miller circa 2014-2017, but he'd need to prove he can stay healthy first.