Grayson Rodriguez 2020

glenn__davis

2 hours ago, murph said:

So this guy throws a baseball across a lake and I can't hit a golf ball across a pond to save my life.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
Just now, OrioleDog said:

Let it be recorded here for Grayson's Bulletin Board that some ESPN or MLB talking head lauding the White Sox Jared Kelley pick called him the best Texas prep pitcher since Jameson Taillon in 2010.

You have to admit Grayson hasn't done much this season.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have to admit Grayson hasn't done much this season.

Presumably he's managed not to injure himself.

He could get once through the order, right?  50-man rosters and a 50-game season, we might have a chance.

Obviously many of us are dying for any baseball period, and it is also going to be fascinating to watch the compressed schedule warp game play.  Verlander chasing another ring could be all like I don't need 4 days rest to maintain for a 50 game year, and dammit the Mariners are 11-3 again.

I suppose it will inevitably affect the good Rutschman team years that Hall/Rodriguez are missing their step towards 180 annual innings this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Broke down and paid for a year of The Athletic.  Nice Grayson interview.  Two snippets (hopefully this isn't too much to post) below.  They are playing intra-squad games everyday, probably not a surprise to anyone, but I wonder if they would ever release the stats from those games, they have to be tracking them. 

https://theathletic.com/2023097/2020/08/26/qa-with-grayson-rodriguez-on-orioles-bowie-camp-pitching-and-adley-rutschman/?source=dailyemail

Is there anything you have been working on that you feel has really improved your arsenal or something in particular that you’re concentrating on this year?

Spin direction is a big thing. That’s how the ball is spinning on an axis, if you were able to break it down and put it on a clock. That’s a big focus right now for me, getting that cleaned up. We’re able to get a lot of work done with these TrackMan units and Edgertronic (high-speed) cameras and all this technology that we have. It’s really a lot of fun because in a game situation there are not cameras out there on the field with you. So, we’re able to do that here.

Have to ask: Any readings yet on your fastball this summer? Triple digits yet in Bowie?

We’re in the upper-90s right now. Not quite 100 (mph) yet. So far, I’ve gotten it up to 99. It’s still early. I think we’ll get there. I think we’ll reach the century mark before I leave here.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, murph said:

Broke down and paid for a year of The Athletic.  Nice Grayson interview.  Two snippets (hopefully this isn't too much to post) below.  They are playing intra-squad games everyday, probably not a surprise to anyone, but I wonder if they would ever release the stats from those games, they have to be tracking them. 

https://theathletic.com/2023097/2020/08/26/qa-with-grayson-rodriguez-on-orioles-bowie-camp-pitching-and-adley-rutschman/?source=dailyemail

Is there anything you have been working on that you feel has really improved your arsenal or something in particular that you’re concentrating on this year?

Spin direction is a big thing. That’s how the ball is spinning on an axis, if you were able to break it down and put it on a clock. That’s a big focus right now for me, getting that cleaned up. We’re able to get a lot of work done with these TrackMan units and Edgertronic (high-speed) cameras and all this technology that we have. It’s really a lot of fun because in a game situation there are not cameras out there on the field with you. So, we’re able to do that here.

Have to ask: Any readings yet on your fastball this summer? Triple digits yet in Bowie?

We’re in the upper-90s right now. Not quite 100 (mph) yet. So far, I’ve gotten it up to 99. It’s still early. I think we’ll get there. I think we’ll reach the century mark before I leave here.

Anything you've been working on?

Well, I've gotten really good at getting DJ Stewart out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Law, his podcast this week featured an interview with Dillon Tate talking about "his experience growing up playing baseball, the choice of going to college vs. going pro after high school, adjustments he’s made along the way, and more!" Haven't listened to it yet, but having seen Dillon speak at an event last year, I will check it out.

2 hours ago, murph said:

They are playing intra-squad games everyday, probably not a surprise to anyone, but I wonder if they would ever release the stats from those games, they have to be tracking them. 

Eno Sarris on a The Athletic podcast commented a few days ago that ~20 teams are sharing alternate site data.

The conclusion I'd jump to is we probably aren't, and those 20 want those performances to be known so the sellers of the world have a little bit to go on.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He gets burned by a lot of his hot takes but the man isn't clueless about prospects.

Okay, so I was probably a bit harsh, but he seams to be a .198 hitter in his predictions.

Usually they poke fun at him here, not sure, why now they are paying so much attention.