Alex Cobb 2020

Frobby

16 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

This guy...

I correctly predicted the Orioles would sign Cobb about a month or two before it happened, here on OH. This guy has been such a disappointment, I feel less smart for having done so.

Hoping he can give the team some good innings this year. But my hopes are low.

Using your powers, how will he do this year?

8 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Using your powers, how will he do this year?

I have no powers - lol. Just have made a few educated guesses on signings that turned out to be correct. When the team signed Cobb, I thought he was going to be an important piece of a potential playoff team - worth the money. That was pretty far off in hindsight. I'm just hoping Cobb can give the team some decent innings this year. If I had to guess, approximately 130 innings/4.6 era.

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

As mentioned repeatedly in this thread, Cobb is signed through 2021.

Thank you for the correction, the point is still valid. I would rather see other guys. Whether Cobb is good or bad he has no trade value. Even if we trade him, he would be more a salary dump then anything else. So let him do whatever he does until it’s time for him to go.

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thank you for the correction, the point is still valid. I would rather see other guys. Whether Cobb is good or bad he has no trade value. Even if we trade him, he would be more a salary dump then anything else. So let him do whatever he does until it’s time for him to go.

It would be nice if we had 5 or 6 pitchers better than him, but it is also nice to be able to watch a league average-ish pitcher. Even if he is overpaid, I would rather watch him than the guys that made the 72 starts last year that weren't made by Means, Bundy, Cashner and Wojo.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:35 PM, Philip said:

I’m kind of surprised at how little I care about Cobb. If he’s good, so what. He has no trade value, we’re going to pay all his money, and at the end of the season he’s going to go away. If he’s bad, well we’re still going to pay all his money, and at the end of the season he’s going to go away. I’m kind of disappointed,  because I’d rather see what the guys in the minors can do. We’ve got probably 10 pitchers who have a reasonable chance of making their debuts this summer And doing well, I’d really like to just let them try.

The reason why every Orioles fan should care about Cobb is in the off chance he regains his pre-injury form and becomes some kind of decent trade chip. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

The reason why every Orioles fan should care about Cobb is in the off chance he regains his pre-injury form and becomes some kind of decent trade chip. 

Yes, and I would like to have a pet unicorn… 

Not impossible… But… I’d rather focus my energies on our prospects, which is why I’m going to be spending a lot of time in rereading your “pitching battles” article

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/02/cobb-eager-to-make-todays-start-against-phillies.html

One of the more interesting starts of the early spring, in my opinion.     Yeah, Cobb will have little impact on the long term future of the Orioles, but 2020 will be a lot more tolerable if Cobb is healthy and pitching at the top of his game.   

• Upvote 1