Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If Davis is the starting 1B, I don't see Smith or Stewart on the team.  I could see a scenario with Mancini at 1B with Stewart or Smith as the starting LF.

I think there are too many guys who are better than Smith, and he doesn’t have any options left anyway, so in addition to his bad defense and bad bat, He has no flexibility. I would much rather have Williams, who is at least versatile And has a good reputation on defense. Meanwhile regarding Stewart, So far he hasn’t shown anything and I am afraid he’s going to turn out to be just another bad draft pick. Regardless however he’s not gonna be ready for the start of the season, even if he’s healthy, they will send him down for a while at least.

edit: If the impossible actually happens and Davis is released,  I don’t think that makes it more likely that Stewart makes the team. Not only is he injured, but their other guys were probably ahead of him. It might open up a spot for Smith, but I doubt that too. However, Davis isn’t going anywhere, so it’s moot.

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

He has one, at least according to the FanGraphs people.

I think I remember this conversation from last season, there was some discussion about whether he did or did not have one. I thought the final analysis was that he did not, But if He does, then I stand corrected. However, I don’t think it changes the equation much. Bad defense requires good offense to compensate, and his isn’t.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Stewart's numbers in AAA last year were outstanding.  He never really got settled up here.  I have never been impressed when watching him but I think we might be underestimating him.

I agree on Smith but it seems like Elias and Hyde see something more.

William's has an excellent chance to be an outfield reserve with the chance for more if the opportunity presents itself. 

Didn't he get injured early on and tried to play with it?

Just now, RZNJ said:

Stewart's numbers in AAA last year were outstanding.  He never really got settled up here.  I have never been impressed when watching him but I think we might be underestimating him.

William's has an excellent chance to be an outfield reserve with the chance for more if the opportunity presents itself. 

I understand that Stewart was excellent in the minors, but remember, that’s the biggest leap in talent that professional sports has to offer. Lots and lots of guys don’t make it. And his defense is nothing to write home about.

I’m sure he’ll get another chance at some point, but I’m equally sure that he won’t start the season with the team.

Just now, Philip said:

I understand that Stewart was excellent in the minors, but remember, that’s the biggest leap in talent that professional sports has to offer. Lots and lots of guys don’t make it. And his defense is nothing to write home about.

I’m sure he’ll get another chance at some point, but I’m equally sure that he won’t start the season with the team.

More than the NBA G league ---> NBA?  I don't think so.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If Mountcastle begins the season in the minors there is room for Smith on the 26 man roster.   He has an edge over Wilkerson because Smith is on the 40 man.   When Mountcastle is called up I would think Smith will be optioned depending of who is injured at the time.

I still think Mountcastle gets most of this at bats a 1B.   Mancini  beginning the season at 1B and moving back to right field when Mountcastle is promoted.   With Diaz the RFer of the future I just don't see the reason to have  Mountcastle spend much time learning the outfield.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, DirtyBird said:

wrong

Lol

Our predictions were real similar though...

We both had Chandler Shepherd and Mason Williams making the team.

We both had Urena making the team (before you edited your answer)

And we both had Kohl Stewart cracking the opening day rotation.

I guess we did disagree on a back up outfielder spot.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't he get injured early on and tried to play with it?

Exactly.    I’d like to see what he’d do over a couple of months when healthy.    But our OF is getting very crowded so I’m not sure if/when that’s going to happen.   

Infield:

Davis

Alberto

Iglesias

Ruiz

Nunez

Rondon

Outfield:

Hays

Mancini

Santander

Smith

Mason Williams

Catcher:

Severino 

Sysco

Pitchers:

LeBlanc

Cobb

Means

Wojo

Milone

Bailey

Hess

Bleier

Scott

Givens

Castro

Fry

Harvey

I don’t see them signing more pitching at this point.

6 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Infield:

Davis

Alberto

Iglesias

Ruiz

Nunez

Rondon

Outfield:

Hays

Mancini

Santander

Smith

Mason Williams

Catcher:

Severino 

Sysco

Pitchers:

LeBlanc

Cobb

Means

Wojo

Milone

Bailey

Hess

Bleier

Scott

Givens

Castro

Fry

Harvey

I don’t see them signing more pitching at this point.

I think it should be noted that last year Elias picked up Severino on 3/23 and Straily on 4/5.   There could be players joining the O's late this spring as well.

• Upvote 1

Starters (5)

Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Stewart

Bullpen (8)

Givens, Castro, Bleier, Armstrong, Harvey, Lakins, Scott, Tate

Catchers (2)

Severino, Sisco

Infielders (7, I put Mancini here though he could be more of an OF whether I like it or not)

Davis, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez, Iglessias, Mancini, Velazquez

Outfielders (4)

Santander, Hays, Smith Jr., Williams

14 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

Biggest swings to influence decisions-Cobb’s health, 26th guy’s ability to play IF/OF, Mountcastle’s service time clock

Offense-Hays, Santander, Nunez, Alberto, Ruiz, Smith, Mancini, Iglesias, Severino, Holaday, Davis, M. Williams, Velazquez

Pitching-Bleier, T Scott, Hess, Bailey, Wojo, Means, Castro, Armstrong, Bailey, Milone, Cobb, Sulser, Harvey

Bailey twice

37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Starters (5)

Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Stewart

Bullpen (8)

Givens, Castro, Bleier, Armstrong, Harvey, Lakins, Scott, Tate

Catchers (2)

Severino, Sisco

Infielders (7, I put Mancini here though he could be more of an OF whether I like it or not)

Davis, Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez, Iglessias, Mancini, Velazquez

Outfielders (4)

Santander, Hays, Smith Jr., Stewart

Stewart is recovering, but still injured, how do you think he’ll be ready for opening day?