Sun: Catchers Day

weams

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nice piece.  Enlightening. 

Very. Sisco had an interesting quote:

Sisco thinks back to life before working with him and wonders how they caught before he was hired.

Sisco said: “The stuff that he says is like, ‘Oh my gosh, how did we not know any of this stuff before?’ It’s been awesome to have him, and the drills, the mindsets, the stuff he relays to us — it’s A-plus.”

Did they not get any training or stuff before Cossins?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sisco thinks back to life before working with him and wonders how they caught before he was hired.

Sisco said: “The stuff that he says is like, ‘Oh my gosh, how did we not know any of this stuff before?’ It’s been awesome to have him, and the drills, the mindsets, the stuff he relays to us — it’s A-plus.”

Maybe he wasn’t paying any attention. His D doesn’t indicate that he was.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sure they did.    John Russell, Buck’s bench coach, was in charge of working with the catchers and caught 150 games in the majors and 250 in the minors, compared to Cossins’ 219 games caught in the minors.    The O’s also had a minor league catching coordinator, Don Werner, who caught 85 games in the majors and 983 in the minors.    But Cossins came to the O’s with a stellar reputation as a catching coach, and of course Brandon Hyde and Freddie Gonzalez were both catchers as well.    If Sisco believes he’s getting better coaching from Cossins than he got from Russell and Werner, I have no reason to doubt him.    Hopefully it will help his defense to improve.   

• Upvote 1