Ryan Mountcastle 2020

Frobby

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say we hold Mountcastle down for the three weeks to gain the extra year of control, or until some time in June to alter the arb clock, what are some reasonable predictions for his season totals? 

Down three weeks - 25 HR

Sometime in June - 15 HR

Early reports are that they tuned the balls down from last season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say we hold Mountcastle down for the three weeks to gain the extra year of control, or until some time in June to alter the arb clock, what are some reasonable predictions for his season totals? 

Down three weeks - 25 HR

Sometime in June - 15 HR

I think he will struggle to hit 20 over a full season. And that's not a knock on him, I just think he's going to be more of a doubles hitter before he really settles in and starts to find himself in the big leagues. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Early reports are that they tuned the balls down from last season.

I have seen quite a few reports that the smoothness and lace height issues have been fixed.  That said the trend of minor leaguers increasing power in the major leagues extended into 2018 as well.

April 25

June 20

I think it is increasingly likely that Mancini is going to be traded, and Mountcastle will replace him.

it would solve too many problems and cause none that would be considered significant at the moment. The only question is, what does Texas have to offer that we really want?

8 hours ago, Philip said:

I think it is increasingly likely that Mancini is going to be traded, and Mountcastle will replace him.

it would solve too many problems and cause none that would be considered significant at the moment. The only question is, what does Texas have to offer that we really want?

International money?

I'm confident the bat is ready. He'll hit. The Davis/Mancini/Mountcastle tri-fecta is annoying though. I don't think they should trade Mancini. He's just a great clubhouse guy and very Nick Markakis like in his approach.

I think Mountcastle comes up at the end of May and is your everyday LF. 

On 3/4/2020 at 9:41 PM, Philip said:

I think it might cause unending ire if we end up trading Mancini because of the Davis problem.

Maybe someone should approach Chris about running to be the Democratic nominee for POTUS. I tried, but couldn't find what his career Tuesday splits are like.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

I think it might cause unending ire if we end up trading Mancini because of the Davis problem.

Maybe someone should approach Chris about running to be the Democratic nominee for POTUS. I tried, but couldn't find what his career Tuesday splits are like.

Problem is in a debate Davis would just blankly stare while trying to formulate an answer to a question and fail to speak before the buzzer sounded. 

Here's what Tony tweeted earlier:

Have to agree, obviously. He's still learning the position, but he'll need to better than this moving forward.  If he just can't hack it in the OF (or he does 'hack' it, which is the problem :P ), he'll see spot time at 1B and likely DH most other days. My hope is that: 1-Davis gets released, 2-Mancini gets traded, and 3-Mountcastle tries to become our full-time 1B. Not the most likely scenarios. 

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Have to agree, obviously. He's still learning the position, but he'll need to better than this moving forward.  If he just can't hack it in the OF (or he does 'hack' it, which is the problem :P ), he'll see spot time at 1B and likely DH most other days. My hope is that: 1-Davis gets released, 2-Mancini gets traded, and 3-Mountcastle tries to become our full-time 1B. Not the most likely scenarios. 

People are so willing to see Mancini go.   We all HOPE that Mountcastle turns out to be the ML hitter that Manicini IS.   That would be great if it happens.   Mancini turns 28 in a few days, he's not ancient.   Yes, I understand he'll probably be 30+ by the time we have a contender, but if you go back and look at the last 100 or so World Champions, I'll bet you'll find that pretty much all of them had a guy in his 30s in the lineup.   

I just don't think there's a big market right now for guys with Manicini's skills.   Trading him for a B or C level return makes no sense to me.   

11 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Play today looked like to me he held onto the ball too long, like he didn’t release it on time if that makes any sense. 

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

People are so willing to see Mancini go.   We all HOPE that Mountcastle turns out to be the ML hitter that Manicini IS.   That would be great if it happens.   Mancini turns 28 in a few days, he's not ancient.   Yes, I understand he'll probably be 30+ by the time we have a contender, but if you go back and look at the last 100 or so World Champions, I'll bet you'll find that pretty much all of them had a guy in his 30s in the lineup.   

I just don't think there's a big market right now for guys with Manicini's skills.   Trading him for a B or C level return makes no sense to me.   

I cannot agree more. Mancini is a pretty good hitter and we can only hope that Mountcastle is just as good. Like you mentioned, players like Mancini aren't particularly valued these days, so I can't see the value Mancini would bring back in a trade exceeding what he'd be able to contribute. He also wouldn't be particularly expensive to extend.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to jettison Mancini. Posters really overrate O's prospects here.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I cannot agree more. Mancini is a pretty good hitter and we can only hope that Mountcastle is just as good. Like you mentioned, players like Mancini aren't particularly valued these days, so I can't see the value Mancini would bring back in a trade exceeding what he'd be able to contribute. He also wouldn't be particularly expensive to extend.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to jettison Mancini. Posters really overrate O's prospects here.

Not me. Mancini can hit and unless a team wows you with an offer you just don’t trade him away. Mancini could very easily be a part of a winning Orioles team in 4 years from now.

This isn’t Cashner where you feel lucky to land a couple DSL prospects in return, while still picking up part of the remaining contract.