Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

interloper

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And little did we know because we didn't follow that kind of stuff back then to the degree that we do now. I can remember thinking Bill Swaggerty was going to be the next great starter because that's just what the Orioles did, and that was produce starters. Who but the Orioles would take a middling pitcher like Steve Stone and watch him win the Cy Young award?

Other than perhaps hearing about the #1 pick, we never heard anything else about the drafts. I think Mark Corey was the first #1 pick I had heard about and thought he would be a stud. Tony Chavez would become another Dennis Martines, right? How in the world does a guy named Drungo Hazewood, who slashed .261/.355/.485/.840 with 28 bombs in AA at 20-years of age, not become a star? 

One thing looking at Drungo's minor league stats is that he averaged more than one strike out per game played. While that is nothing out of the ordinary in today's game, back in the 70s and 80s unless you produced has a hitter being a strikeout machine was not really accepted out of a starting major league player. 

I wonder if Drungo came up today would things have worked out differently for him. He drew a decent number of walks to boost his OBP to .350+ in his better minor league seasons. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hazewdr01.shtml

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

One thing looking at Drungo's minor league stats is that he averaged more than one strike out per game played. While that is nothing out of the ordinary in today's game, back in the 70s and 80s unless you produced has a hitter being a strikeout machine was not really accepted out of a starting major league player. 

I wonder if Drungo came up today would things have worked out differently for him. He drew a decent number of walks to boost his OBP to .350+ in his better minor league seasons. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hazewdr01.shtml

If that was his K rate back then how high would it be in today's game?

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love that movie so much.    Pure corn and I looooooovvvvvve it.   

Me too. The Natural is just a good movie, not just a good baseball movie. The only other one I'd lump into that category is Bull Durham. Field of Dreams was great when I was a young teen, but nowadays it just seems a bit too sappy and over the top with the sentimentality. To each their own though. 

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You know, as big a baseball fan that I am, I just never liked that movie. Give me some Bull Durham or Field of Dream anyday though. ;)

Field of Dreams is only good once James Earl Jones shows up.    From then to the end, it’s gold.   Bull Durham is great.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

You know, as big a baseball fan that I am, I just never liked that movie. Give me some Bull Durham or Field of Dream anyday though. ;)

I'm a huge field of dreams fan. Didn't they show it at Camden last year? Upset that I missed that.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Field of Dreams is only good once James Earl Jones shows up.    From then to the end, it’s gold.   Bull Durham is great.

It does get better once JEJ appears. Love the scene when Costner turns the van around after dropping him off and he's standing in the road! Gives me goosebumps every time!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

Have any of you seen "Trouble with the Curve" with Clint Eastwood?  I enjoyed it.  Although it was slow to get going.

Liked Trouble with the Curve.

Sugar I also enjoyed.A DR kid adjusting to the United States and minor league ball.

Bang the Drum Slowly I also really like ,but more about life and not a fun movie.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm with Tony on The Natural, but feel the same way about Field of Dreams. They're not about anything that I (recognize as baseball.

For me, the best baseball movie (that I've seen) is Bang the Drum Slowly. Great acting (De Niro, Michael Moriarty, Danny Aiello; Vincent Gardenia steals the show though I guess De Niro reclaims it by the end), unforgettable characters and subplots, and a story that is sometimes heartwarming, other times heartbreaking. And the baseball is real baseball. But you don't have to take my word for it. Reviewing it in 1973, Roger Ebert said, "It’s mostly about baseball and the daily life of a major league club on the road." Ebert called it "the ultimate baseball movie," and for me it still is. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/bang-the-drum-slowly-1973  

One of life's great unsolved mysteries is why no one has made a film, or a TV mini-series, of Mark Harris's other baseball fiction, especially The Southpaw, in which Harris introduced the characters in Bang the Drum Slowly.