When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

2 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Yeah - I give it another month and this whole social distancing thing will become too much.

Find a treatment, then a vaccine - it's not that hard of a concept.  Although I should probably keep my mouth shut to upset the doom and gloom narrative.  And I know snark is coming quickly after that last comment.

And if it takes 18 months to find a vaccine, and nearly that long to find a treatment, then what do you do? How can you bring thousands of people in close quarters to attend a baseball game? I appreciate that you're trying to be optimistic, and I certainly hope there's a way baseball can be salvaged this season, but right now it's hard to see how it would work.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

And if it takes 18 months to find a vaccine, and nearly that long to find a treatment, then what do you do? How can you bring thousands of people in close quarters to attend a baseball game? I appreciate that you're trying to be optimistic, and I certainly hope there's a way baseball can be salvaged this season, but right now it's hard to see how it would work.

Yeah it doesn’t seem possible.  I doubt the NFL will start on time if at all.   At a certain point most people will be infected.  We aren’t even having people working at grocery stores wear masks.  When everyone in public should wear a mask.

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

I don't think that's what he's saying.  If there are no formal group gatherings, then most people will create informal ones and consequences be damned.  It's wired in.  That's what I was suggesting and that's what he's responding to.

Professional sports (and rock concerts and Broadway, etc., etc.) really haven't any choice but to do what they've done.  For them it's scripted and any connection to basic human nature is incedental.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I don't think that's what he's saying.  If there are no formal group gatherings, then most people will create informal ones and consequences be damned.  It's wired in.  That's what I was suggesting and that's what he's responding to.

Professional sports (and rock concerts and Broadway, etc., etc.) really haven't any choice but to do what they've done.  For them it's scripted and any connection to basic human nature is incedental.

He was saying this was nothing since the beginning.  

We all want some normalcy to return.  And I won't be political, but in general if given a choice, I think people would sign up for this ending at Easter.  I think when we look at the massive steps being taken, with sports, schools and businesses, that the reality is this will go on far longer than weeks. Nobody wants that, and surely if it runs that way, there will be scars.  I am resigned to the fact that I must assume I have it along with everyone in my family.  And that we must....must...make sure we do everything in our power to make sure we do not give it to anyone else.

Yes, it means things will be different.  Maybe it means no baseball until June or July...maybe not at all this year.  So instead of debating the Orioles starting pitching, we can critique Tony's simulated start to the season.  (Note to Tony...couldn't you run 10,000,000 sims and find the one where the Orioles have a Why not 2020 Campaign?).

Stay as light hearted as possible, as friendly as can be and approach this with the Brooks Robinson approach.  Everyone is a friend and everyone is a fan.  We can do this.

Imagine

10 hours ago, orioles119 said:

Yeah - I give it another month and this whole social distancing thing will become too much.

Find a treatment, then a vaccine - it's not that hard of a concept.  Although I should probably keep my mouth shut to upset the doom and gloom narrative.  And I know snark is coming quickly after that last comment.

Yep. Get a functional vaccine, and it's all good. Until then. We'll do what we are told to do to keep it controlled. 

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

Yeah. No Sports will be played with crowds until there is a functional vaccine. 

Honestly, I worry about youth sport more than professional sport at this time. Seniors in HS, college not finishing their last winter season or even starting Spring. All Little League, LAX, soccer etc that might lose a season or kids that never go back after getting out of the routine. As much as I have enjoyed being an O's fan, I've gotten more joy over coaching various sports over a 30 year period than any O game or season has given me. Now, I enjoy grandkids playing LL, lax, youth hockey more than the O's. I hope it works out for kids, not adults just the adults playing a kids game.

The other question for MLB or any sports organization is what is attendance going to look like?  Despite my desire for sports, I'm out of attending any sporting event for some time.  I'll probably wait until the 2021 seasons before I go to something like that.  I imagine that attendance would be shockingly low for the most part even if they did start it. 

I also wondered earlier in this thread about how an outbreak of corona would affect the schedules if a team or teams had an infection as they often do with flu.  That would shut down the whole team or teams for quarantine and wreak havoc with the schedule and game cancellations.  It just seems like there are too many contingencies that adversely affect any major sport's ability to conduct business as "usual."

42 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

The other question for MLB or any sports organization is what is attendance going to look like?  Despite my desire for sports, I'm out of attending any sporting event for some time.  I'll probably wait until the 2021 seasons before I go to something like that.

Considering your screen name, that’s undoubtedly a good thing!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, orioles119 said:

In 1918 during the flu pandemic people were also going off to World War 1.I think they can social distance for a few more weeks. War and pandemic are a little tougher then seeing all your friends. 

The other part is most important, treatment that works.About six or more drugs being tested. Hopefully one shows great promise.But as with the peak in the US ,the real experts have different timelines but most in late April. 

Stay safe and good luck Can affect anyone. I know someone who is on a ventilator.Healthy 45 yo male. I stay away from most parts and people in the hospital. 

46 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

I believe the status of our health care system will ultimately determine when events will be allowed to resume.

Have to think our health system will change after this.For profit hospitals, many rural hospitals shut down with no hospital for miles and miles.Hospitals run with few beds.I can see sort of a private and government connected hospital system.