What does a missed or short season do to contracts?

accinfo

I assume the players will only get paid for the games they end up playing if any.  If a player has a 3 year contract and they only play a half a season do they just lose that half of season?  If they don't play at all and have a 3 year deal do they have 2 years or 3 years left?  Does a player have to wait the extra year to become a free agent or reach arbitration? 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The major thing it means for the O's is that  a missed 2020 season would save them $37M.   23M for Davis and 14M for Cobb.  Davis will have 2/46M remaining on his contract and Cobb will have 1/15M left.

Why distinguish their salaries from everyone else’s on the team?    They would all be saved in that situation.    And I hope that doesn’t happen.    I won’t feel the slightest bit good about the O’s not having to pay Davis and Cobb if that means there’s no baseball this year. 

• Upvote 2

I find this kind of odd. Take Mookie - in the event that there's no season, he would both a) not be paid and b) become a free agent in the upcoming offseason. So not only does he make no money, he ages one more year and potentially gets less in free agency than he might have if he had played this season.

That's two downsides for the player. Sure the team gets screwed on losing the players in the trade, but how is it that the MLBPA agreed to this? Unless I'm missing something. 

A rebuilding team like the O's also loses a year of development AND control for its prospects. It's bad all around I guess.

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

I find this kind of odd. Take Mookie - in the event that there's no season, he would both a) not be paid and b) become a free agent in the upcoming offseason. So not only does he make no money, he ages one more year and potentially gets less in free agency than he might have if he had played this season.

That's two downsides for the player. Sure the team gets screwed on losing the players in the trade, but how is it that the MLBPA agreed to this? Unless I'm missing something. 

A rebuilding team like the O's also loses a year of development AND control for its prospects. It's bad all around I guess.

And the Dodgers end up trading prospects for nothing.  No one is winning here.  Seems to me it's a pretty fair compromise, only real difference I would have suggested was to eliminate service clock manipulation but I want that done away with anyway.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hard to pay players if owners are getting zero revenue.  And the owners have nonplayer expenses as well to deal with without revenue.  The team’ cut from reruns of old World Series games on MLB.TV is probably getting pretty thin. 

Mookie’s situation and the Dodgers losing the traded players is really no different than if he had gotten injured in 2020...life can be filled with unpredictable events.  

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Hard to pay players if owners are getting zero revenue.  And the owners have nonplayer expenses as well to deal with without revenue.  The team’ cut from reruns of old World Series games on MLB.TV is probably getting pretty thin. 

Mookie’s situation and the Dodgers losing the traded players is really no different than if he had gotten injured in 2020...life can be filled with unpredictable events.  

Yeah true.

I think this whole thing hurts the Orioles much more than it does the Dodgers anyway. So much lost momentum in development, lost draft picks, less info for scouts, less years of control, less time to coach and develop guys like Adley. It's just extra brutal for rebuilding clubs. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Why distinguish their salaries from everyone else’s on the team?    They would all be saved in that situation.    And I hope that doesn’t happen.    I won’t feel the slightest bit good about the O’s not having to pay Davis and Cobb if that means there’s no baseball this year. 

I didn't say it was good or bad.  i said those two salaries are the major things.   More major than anyone else that would get a reduced salary.

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

But everyone loses a year.  The O's get players who are physically inching closer to peak.  The Dodgers, Yanks, Sox... they're mainly getting players moving closer to the cliff.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah true.

I think this whole thing hurts the Orioles much more than it does the Dodgers anyway. So much lost momentum in development, lost draft picks, less info for scouts, less years of control, less time to coach and develop guys like Adley. It's just extra brutal for rebuilding clubs. 

I think it's just as brutal for the high spenders.  Someone like Justin Turner is missing their age 35 season.  You'd expect some falloff this year, with rapidly increasing chances of catastrophic decline thereafter.  Nelson Cruz is missing his age 39 season; his fountain of youth will end eventually, the good stuff is only so good.

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah true.

I would think it would hurt the Orioles the least.  Have you seen the roster?  Most of the guys on the roster won't be in baseball in a few years much less with the Orioles.  Unless you think they are missing out on the number 1 overall pick next year and will get number two.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I would think it would hurt the Orioles the least.  Have you seen the roster?  Most of the guys on the roster won't be in baseball in a few years much less with the Orioles.  Unless you think they are missing out on the number 1 overall pick next year and will get number two.  

I guess it depends on how much you value game experience for prospects. I would think pitchers can progress better than hitters. Not to mention I’m sure saving a year of stress on their arms could be beneficial.

Either way though, you lose a year of development and control for guys. A raw toolsy type player like Adam Hall will now only have One year left till Rule 5 and two years left before becoming a FA. 

6 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I guess it depends on how much you value game experience for prospects. I would think pitchers can progress better than hitters. Not to mention I’m sure saving a year of stress on their arms could be beneficial.

Either way though, you lose a year of development and control for guys. A raw toolsy type player like Adam Hall will now only have One year left till Rule 5 and two years left before becoming a FA. 

There are people who will tell you that Bob Feller would have won well over 300 games if not for the three years he lost to WWII.  Bob Feller was one of those people. 

My take is that after throwing 663 innings in the two years preceding war, the three years he took off were probably the thing that allowed his arm to stay attached to the rest of his body and pitch into the 1950s.  If this season is completely or mostly wiped out it'll be an interesting long-term study to see if there are any changing career trends that come out of it.

21 hours ago, atomic said:

I'm not taking about the roster though, I'm taking about the prospects. Guys like Adley and Rodriguez just don't get a full year of game experience to get better. They'll be a year older and no better. And the Os miss out on the control.