How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

To be fair about the masks, people were told by public officials in prominent positions for a long time not to wear them because they weren't effective.  That has to be a significant factor in the resistance by some to wear masks. 

A big reason why. Here's a great video that visually shows what masks do. Masks are an incredibly useful tool to limit the spread of droplets that everyone sprays into the air with each breath. You can have the virus and have no idea whatsoever. In the case of being an unknowingly infected person, wearing a mask is stopping infected droplets that you are breathing out from infecting other people.

Again, you don't wear a mask to protect yourself - you wear a mask to protect other people

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

To get back to baseball...Ken Rosenthal has the latest on MLB's preferred plan for 2020 (though nothing is official yet). The highlights:

• A season starting in early July of somewhere from 78-82 games.
  • Games in as many home parks as possible (with no fans, obviously). Teams that aren't able to open in their own cities would relocate either to their spring training ballparks or to other cities.
  • A regionalized schedule where each division plays only its division and the same division in the other league (so the O's would play only the AL East and NL East).
  • Possible expanded playoffs to seven teams in each league (top overall seed gets a first-round bye; two other division winners and top wild card play against three wild cards).

Does this talk about Toronto in particular?  I’ve read that traveling across the border could be an issue.  And when I say “read”, I mean I saw a headline. lol.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Tony, I'm sorry, but this is an incredibly dangerous and ill-informed take. I must speak up. We are talking about a very serious virus. Someone's decision on how to protect themselves has direct consequences for someone else who is trying to protect themselves. I can't believe this needs to be said, but viruses are contagious. If someone were to contract the virus through risky behavior in a crowded bar, they have absolutely no ability to stop themselves from spreading it to other people. Absolutely none.

This isn't like wearing a seatbelt or a lifejacket in a boat - the decision has direct consequences on other people. As Abraham Lincoln said, "My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins." Or, the more direction version, "The liberty of one citizen ends where the liberty of another citizen begins." America is not a land of infinite freedom. It is a society, just like anywhere else - with rules, laws, and public health policy intended to create a safe society for everyone.

My grandmother died of COVID-19. She would only leave home to go to the grocery store and pickup her medication. She always wore a mask. She'd always complain about how many people were completely reckless, did not wear masks, did not respect social distancing. I'm sorry - but I must speak up. It absolutely astounds me that people are so resistant to wearing a piece of cloth that takes two seconds to put on - when it could save the lives of others. No one wants to be stuck in the house, but as a society, we must do what is right to fight this virus. The world does need to start reopening soon, but it needs to reopened in a smart way that is based on science, facts, and information - not Ben Franklin quotes taken completely out of context.

So, WEAR A MASK.

PS - This is a baseball site and the amount of misinformation here is astounding - and quite frankly dangerous. I encourage everyone to stick to commenting on MLB and the reports surrounding the plans for resumption in play.

To be fair there are countless behaviors that people participate in that make all of society weaker and goods that are sold that also negatively impact peoples overall health. Smoking, drinking (alcohol/soda), eating junk food. All of these are consumed en masse and contribute in significant ways to many of the major diseases/ailments from which people die.  These may not have as direct/immediate of an impact, but the point is that there is all sorts of risky behavior out there that is allowed.

It makes sense to wear masks indoors for the next few months, but people should be allowed to assess their own risk sometime soon, be it outdoor bars or hanging out in parks and hopefully baseball games before the season is out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

To get back to baseball...Ken Rosenthal has the latest on MLB's preferred plan for 2020 (though nothing is official yet). The highlights:

• A season starting in early July of somewhere from 78-82 games.
  • Games in as many home parks as possible (with no fans, obviously). Teams that aren't able to open in their own cities would relocate either to their spring training ballparks or to other cities.
  • A regionalized schedule where each division plays only its division and the same division in the other league (so the O's would play only the AL East and NL East).
  • Possible expanded playoffs to seven teams in each league (top overall seed gets a first-round bye; two other division winners and top wild card play against three wild cards).

In baseball the cream rises to the top over the long run;  as they say, it is a marathon, not a sprint.  I think there is a threat to the tanking process in a shorter schedule, which should be a cause for worry.

Edited by Dreadnought

3 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

In baseball the cream rises to the top over the long run;  as they say, it is a marathon, not a sprint.  I think there is a threat to the tanking process in a shorter schedule, which should be a cause for worry.

Sediment sinks to the bottom.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Does this talk about Toronto in particular?  I’ve read that traveling across the border could be an issue.  And when I say “read”, I mean I saw a headline. lol.

It does.

Teams would open in as many home parks as possible, with even New York — the major-league city hardest hit by the coronavirus — potentially in play by early July.

Toronto also might open by then, though nonessential travel between the U.S. and Canada is restricted through at least May 21 and all travelers to Canada are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Teams unable to open in their cities temporarily would relocate, either to their spring training sites or major-league parks in other parts of the country. 

If there aren’t going to be fans, what’s the motivation to play in a home park?  Why not just have it at the Spring Training facilities and cut down on travel?  I know there won’t be the East coast to LA to Sea to Bal type travel in this arrangement, but why bother playing games in late September in Michigan, Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc?

27 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If there aren’t going to be fans, what’s the motivation to play in a home park?

This is why I wonder why you would bother with opening MLB Stadiums at a sunk cost when you will already have ST Sites open and running.  No fans in the seats would lose revenues if these stadiums were opened. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I wonder if they could play their games at a host stadium somewhere else in the states that doesn't have baseball but wants baseball.  Not that the Jays are looking to sell, but I know some teams are interested in potentially moving.

I can't help but try to envision a way that the O's could make a playoff run in this scenario. I'm not quite sure how divisions, playoff spots, or wildcards would work, but it seems that the O's would probably have to be better than 8 teams in a 15 team league, if they do like a national/american type split of the divisions.  Metrics aren't as true over a shorter period of time, so I wonder if the O's could pull of some sort of Why not or 2012 sneak attack and get in with the right mix of management, youthful production, and luck.  Hard to see it without Mancini.  If Davis is somehow Davis again, it would be a good replacement of Mancini's production.

At the same time we are probably playing tougher competition on the east coast.  So we'll probably get pounded.

But what if...

1B- Davis - returns to glory, 28 bombs in 80 games, .400 OBP, Hits warehouse...twice

2B- Alberto - By chance, 14 of the first 21 SP the O's face are left handed; starts the season hitting .476.  Finishes at .364.  Walks 4 times on the season

3B- Ruiz -Hits 14 HR and plays solid D.  .843 OPS.

SS - Iglesias plays GG D and bats .285.  Seems to have an immediate positive effect on the pitching

OF - DJ Stewart OPS .815, Hayes is ROY with a .310 avg, .858 OPS, 12 dingers, 11 SBs. Plays like a GG, but does not receive said award.  O's fans are enraged for their new star and fan favorite.  Santander - Looks like a Triple Crown threat in the first month.  Finishes with 21 HRs, .910 OPS, flashing a bit of patience and drawing 45 walks.

C - Cisco and Severino combine to OPS .847 with 17 HRs making a two headed monster.  The defense is league average and not nearly as scary as last year. 

DH - Nunez and Mountcastle also get time around the diamond at 1B, LF, and even 3B to spell the regulars or sit the lefties.  Nunuez hits 16 HRs with a .810 OPS, Mountcastle bats .300 even with an .827 OPS. in 35 games.

Pitching - Means finishes at 2.97 in 101 IP, Cy Young runner up, O's fans enraged. Wojo is 3.78, and Cobb 3.42.  Akin arrives early and finishes at 4.05 averaging 9.5 K/IP.  The bullpen is dominant with a solid trio of Harvey, Scott, and Castro, all averaging better than 10K/IP.  They start calling themselves the "Nastier Boys" and are surrounded with solid performances by Bleier, Armstrong, and a more polished looking Tate.  This allows the SP a month to work its self out and settle on Kremer who absolutely dominates in 53 IP, a 2.14 ERA with a .95 WHIP.

The Metrics kick in when the playoffs start and we are swept in the opening round.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I wonder if they could play their games at a host stadium somewhere else in the states that doesn't have baseball but wants baseball.  Not that the Jays are looking to sell, but I know some teams are interested in potentially moving.

I can't help but try to envision a way that the O's could make a playoff run in this scenario. I'm not quite sure how divisions, playoff spots, or wildcards would work, but it seems that the O's would probably have to be better than 8 teams in a 15 team league, if they do like a national/american type split of the divisions.  Metrics aren't as true over a shorter period of time, so I wonder if the O's could pull of some sort of Why not or 2012 sneak attack and get in with the right mix of management, youthful production, and luck.  Hard to see it without Mancini.  If Davis is somehow Davis again, it would be a good replacement of Mancini's production.

At the same time we are probably playing tougher competition on the east coast.  So we'll probably get pounded.

But what if...

1B- Davis - returns to glory, 28 bombs in 80 games, .400 OBP, Hits warehouse...twice

2B- Alberto - By chance, 14 of the first 21 SP the O's face are left handed; starts the season hitting .476.  Finishes at .364.  Walks 4 times on the season

3B- Ruiz -Hits 14 HR and plays solid D.  .843 OPS.

SS - Iglesias plays GG D and bats .285.  Seems to have an immediate positive effect on the pitching

OF - DJ Stewart OPS .815, Hayes is ROY with a .310 avg, .858 OPS, 12 dingers, 11 SBs. Plays like a GG, but does not receive said award.  O's fans are enraged for their new star and fan favorite.  Santander - Looks like a Triple Crown threat in the first month.  Finishes with 21 HRs, .910 OPS, flashing a bit of patience and drawing 45 walks.

C - Cisco and Severino combine to OPS .847 with 17 HRs making a two headed monster.  The defense is league average and not nearly as scary as last year. 

DH - Nunez and Mountcastle also get time around the diamond at 1B, LF, and even 3B to spell the regulars or sit the lefties.  Nunuez hits 16 HRs with a .810 OPS, Mountcastle bats .300 even with an .827 OPS. in 35 games.

Pitching - Means finishes at 2.97 in 101 IP, Cy Young runner up, O's fans enraged. Wojo is 3.78, and Cobb 3.42.  Akin arrives early and finishes at 4.05 averaging 9.5 K/IP.  The bullpen is dominant with a solid trio of Harvey, Scott, and Castro, all averaging better than 10K/IP.  They start calling themselves the "Nastier Boys" and are surrounded with solid performances by Bleier, Armstrong, and a more polished looking Tate.  This allows the SP a month to work its self out and settle on Kremer who absolutely dominates in 53 IP, a 2.14 ERA with a .95 WHIP.

The Metrics kick in when the playoffs start and we are swept in the opening round.

In that case I'll assume that the CDC came out with a ruling that LSD is really effective against COVID and legalized the drug for the entire population.

• Haha 1

60 percent of the people dying in Maryland are in nursing homes. A huge percentage of those people would be dying this year anyway.  I think that at this point most people aren’t really social distancing anyway.  Make it required to wear a mask when leaving the house and  start opening things back up.  Even require them outside.  Just fine people a $1000 for not wearing a mask. 

The infection rate seems pretty steady.  Children are hardly affected at all.  Old people don’t seem to care about getting the virus.  My mom lives in over 55 community and they are all socializing  in person and going to stores every day.  

We could have the government deliver food to the old and sick so they don’t have to leave the house.

Just now, atomic said:

60 percent of the people dying in Maryland are in nursing homes. A huge percentage of those people would be dying this year anyway.  I think that at this point most people aren’t really social distancing anyway.  Make it required to wear a mask when leaving the house and  start opening things back up.  Even require them outside.  Just fine people a $1000 for not wearing a mask. 

The infection rate seems pretty steady.  Children are hardly affected at all.  Old people don’t seem to care about getting the virus.  My mom lives in over 55 community and they are all socializing  in person and going to stores every day.  

We could have the government deliver food to the old and sick so they don’t have to leave the house.

I've got 1.8 acres.  If I'm out mowing my lawn, on my property, while not wearing a mask I could be fined?  How am I putting anyone at risk? 

Their is no reason to have a mask on if you are not within 13 feet of another person.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've got 1.8 acres.  If I'm out mowing my lawn, on my property, while not wearing a mask I could be fined?  How am I putting anyone at risk? 

Their is no reason to have a mask on if you are not within 13 feet of another person.

What if you're robbing a bank?  Or it's Halloween?  Or you're a superhero?  Or really, really ugly?